• Autumn days when the grass is jewelled ....

It was the summer equinox over the weekend, on the 22 September. It is a time of year that makes me feel both happy and sad at the same time. The sun, pitched perfectly against a clean, crisp, blue sky, watching down on us from its highest position gives me a real boost. A natural energy shot! But, at the same time, there is that slight chill in the air. A chill that makes it uncomfortable to wear short sleeves. Your…

• Lunch in the cemetery anyone?

Blogger: Jacqui Miller, Conservation Officer

Last month I swapped my wardening job in the Cambridgeshire Fens for the life of a Conservation Officer at the Regional Office in Norwich. What a change - moving house, working in an office, and in a city as well! I was a bit worried to be honest. I love the outdoors, and loved being able to work in the midst of wildlife every day. Work parties in the reed beds – ‘oh look…

• Wallasea Island Wild Coast Weekend 2012: Come and see what all the fuss is about

Blogger: Hilary Hunter, Wallasea Island Public Engagement Manager

With the new Environment Secretary, Owen Paterson, officially launching the construction of Wallasea Island yesterday, we are now inviting members of the public and the local community to come and celebrate. The Wild Coast Weekend takes place on the 22 and 23 September and is totally free!

For the first time, visitors will be able to see the large…

• Anyone for the school run?

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

Come rain or shine, good mood or bad, I shall be driving this same route every week day. Over the rail way lines, right at the sharp corner, under the bridge and out in to the open as we putter along the field edge. At the moment it is golden with corn stubble and I wonder how it will change as the season turns. Perhaps cocoa brown with the autumn plough and green with the…

• Rainforests in the East - Diary Post #4: Bumboats & Butterflies

Blogger: Ian Robinson, Broads Area Manager

"I’ve recently got back from a month on Diego Garcia [often called DG] in the Indian Ocean. I had 2 days in Singapore before heading over to DG and managed to spend one of them on Pulua Ubin an island just north of Singapore – it is the last remnant of Tropical rainforest and gave some impression of what Singapore used to look like.

I arrived on Pulua Ubin by…

• My new countryside friend.

With the evenings starting to draw in (no, I hear you cry!) it’s hard not to start thinking about autumn. On a recent bike ride out with some fellow cyclists, I was reminded that although summer might be behind us, there is till plenty to head outdoors for.

Riding through the Norfolk countryside is always exciting. Not because I power the pedals in a Bradley Wiggins style pretending to be leading the Tour de Norfolk…

• Rainforests in the East - Diary Post #3

Blogger: Kim Matthews, Campaigns Officer

I’ve been completely infected with Olympic and Paralympic fever, so much so that I have joined my local gym with grand aims of losing weight and getting fit.  But if I’m honest, the very best thing about it so far has been the steam room.  The billowing, humid heat that hits you when you open the door instantly transports me back to my first ever visit to a tropical…

• More than a telethon (like in the 80s)

Blogger: Rachel Frain, Fundraising and Project Administrator

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been stepping up for nature.  Calling on our trusty supporters to build an army of bucket collecting volunteers, for our together for trees campaign.  If you haven’t heard, Tesco stores nationwide have opened their doors to us on the 21 & 22 September so we can raise money for the rainforests.

I’ve been staying…

• That back to school feeling

Blogger: Kate Blincoe, Communications Manager

It’s September time and with the promise of mellow autumn days and blackberries comes a familiar feeling. It’s a heavy sort of weight on my chest; not painful, not unpleasant; it is just sitting there like mild sorrow or the reminder of past grief.

I’m not the only one; whatever your age, many of us feel a ‘back to school’ emotion at this time of year. Lazy August…