• Rainforests in the East - Diary Post #2

Blogger: Lili Kumar, Community Fundraising Assistant

Stephanie Miles, our Date with Nature Assistant from Sumburgh Head, Shetland, shares her experiences in support for Together for Trees our latest rainforest campaign.  Here Stephanie tells us about volunteering with sea turtles in Costa Rica which began her life in conservation.

I was awoken before my alarm at 4.45am. It was already too hot to sleep in the tin-roofed…

• It’s not all about the money money money (but it helps)

Blogger: Joan Childs, Site Manager for Rye Meads nature reserve

The girls of St Margaret’s school in Bushy, Hertfordshire, have raised a whopping £650 for their local RSPB nature reserve – Rye Meads! The girls from St Margaret’s, which is an independent school for girls aged 4-18, raised the money through lots of fun activities that they ran over the last couple of months.

I was invited over…

• Postman Pat & the Red Admiral

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

Of all the children’s programmes that I find myself sharing with my little boy, Robin, there is one that I seem to have a slightly sentimental attachment to and that is Postman Pat. It might be because I remember the programme from my own childhood (we even went to a Postman Pat theatre production once) but that isn’t the only reason.

Actually I think it’s…

• "I'm bored Mum" Not any more! It's your top 3 cool things to do in the summer hols.

Blogger: Kate Blincoe

The initial euphoria of not having to get everyone out of the door bright and early has worn off. The days are long and the weather is at best changeable. Keeping the brood occupied can seem like a challenging task, but never fear, here is your stay sane guide to the summer hols.

Image: RSPB images

Go for gold!

If you’ve got tired of recreating the long jump in your lounge, then how about aiming…

• If you go down to the woods today

Blogger: Kate Blincoe, Communications Manager

When the holidays are here and if by chance the sun should shine, many of us rush to the beach. What is it about the sea air and big horizons that draw us to the coast? However, when you are tired of sand in your sandwiches, it is worth remembering that a trip inland can give you that same holiday spirit and sense of escape from the everyday.

Thetford Forest is a gem on…

• Kangaroos in Norfolk

Blogger: Rachel Frain, Fundraising Administrator

Recently I was lucky enough to spend the day outdoors in beautiful surroundings with a really cool bunch of five year olds.  I say I was lucky because my day-to-day job is as an administrator at the RSPB.  This usually sees me office bound, stuck behind a desk dealing with lots of paperwork and looking at lots of figures.   As important as this is, I love being outdoors! 

• Czech Out the Summer Holidays of a Conservation Manager

Blogger: John Sharpe, Conservation Manager

It’s always fascinating to go to a new area and see how it differs from home. I’m just back from a two week cycling holiday in central Germany with my family and we had a fantastic time. It was a very low carbon trip. We set off on our bikes from home with just two panniers apiece to meet our needs over the next fortnight. We took the train and ferry from Harwich (did you…

• I know what you did last Summer [Holidays]...

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Officer

...If it was anything like me it was probably moaning a little that the weather wasn't like how I used to remember it was when I was a kid. Do you remember what it was like in those heady care free days/daze?

I can remember the instructions vividly. Don’t cross any main roads and be back before it gets dark. Oh, and be careful!

Two out of the three were always…

• Into the wilds of North America

Blogger: Gena Correale Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

I have just returned from the most amazing three week holiday in North America, exploring the North East of the USA and Canada. We took in several man made marvels over the course of our time away but the most incredible parts of our journey were spent amongst breathtaking scenery and miracles of nature. From seeing my first cardinals in my Aunt’s garden bushes…

• Farewell...

Today is my last day working for the RSPB1 before I head off to an even better job2.

Whilst the above sentence is factually accurate, I feel the need to clarify on points 1 and 2.

1)    Today I leave as a paid member of staff; however I’m not sure I will ever stop working for the RSPB. I fully intend to keep supporting the conservation work that is done in our beautiful region by this bunch of tenacious, talented and hard…