• Militant bird feeding?

Blogger - Erica Howe

I’m house sitting at the moment while our friends are off on a holiday of a lifetime! It sounds wonderful doesn’t it? I’ve left the city, living in the Norfolk countryside, in a bigger house with a garden – sounds like a holiday itself? Well, sort of!

It’s funny when you step into the shoes of someone else, live their life for a brief moment. That’s what it feels like when…

• 28 Feb 2012
  • Of Childhood Friends and Bees

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

Yesterday I received the loveliest text from my oldest childhood friend who has recently moved to London.

“It’s another beautiful blue eyed day in fair London town :) I’m starting to spot those bumbles! I love those round fluffy beasts – my second one today in fact, is resting on my Juliet balcony catching some rays. Bless the bumbles!” …

• 28 Feb 2012
  • I thought I was the only birder in the village

Blogger: Emily Field, RSPB Volunteer & Farmer Alliance Team

The Sunday before last, it was a beautiful sunny morning and with my husband home to watch the children, I finally got round to setting up my telescope on a patch of "wild bird seed mix" (a crop on farmland planted to feed the birds) by my home, a few miles west of Norwich. In the 15 short minutes I spent there before breakfast: enjoying the spectacle…

• 27 Feb 2012
  • Raising a Brood

Blogger: Kate Blincoe

Parenthood can feel complicated at times. We become circus skills experts with all that plate spinning, juggling and tightrope walking as we try to do the best thing for our families whilst managing limited time and money. Having just returned to work following maternity leave, this is very much on my mind!

I’ve never been one for relying on a parenting manual to help me with these challenges.…

• 27 Feb 2012
  • Aggie's canary yellow socks and blue bells

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

I went to boarding school. It was a funny old place. There were the metal-framed boarding-house windows that didn’t quite shut, lumpy horse-hair mattresses and thick canary yellow socks. We marched in to lunch to a band and had study on every day of the week.

Sounds a bit austere, doesn’t it? Except for the socks perhaps. But despite memories of rain sodden woollen…

• 24 Feb 2012
  • Just as the snow had melted ....

I know it'sbeen a mild few days (and you know us, we LOVE talking about the weather!), but it's not staying warm for long. For us, we have the luxury of wearing an extra jumper and cosying up under a blanket, but our garden birds have less protection for the next cold snap hitting home this weekend.  With chilly Arctic blizzards forecast to head through the UK this weekend, we thought we'd highlight some  of…

• 17 Feb 2012
  • Getting in touch with your emotional side

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Officer

Peering out of my window in the office today, the snow is starting to melt and the sun is streaming across our desks. It is certainly warming my heart, if not my red fingertips that have been pinched by the frosty air on my walk in. It is amazing what such a dramatic change in weather can do to your perspective though. With roads covered in inches of clean, white, fluffy snow…

• 13 Feb 2012
  • A Turkey Hero

Blogger: Simon Tonkin, RSPB Senior Farmland Conservation Officer

Where am I? Over 800,000 square kilometres of land, surrounded on three sides by seas, serving as a bridge between three continents and forming a critical flyway for migrating birds? .....Turkey of course!

Turkey encompasses two main routes for birds migrating en mass, referred to as a flyway. Twice a year, the land and water habitats of Turkey offer…

• 7 Feb 2012
  • Natural, traditional and udderly wonderful!

Blogger - Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

I have fallen in love with keeping chickens. They are quirky, personality filled creatures and I can fill hours in a day watching them. We now have five in total, including Colin the cockerel, but with the cold weather and drawn in nights we still have very few eggs. I can do without the scrambled egg suppers until spring time though if it means letting the chickens lead…

• 6 Feb 2012