• Pear trees not just for partridges

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communication Officer

You may find yourself humming the classic Christmas line about a partridge in a pear tree this festive season, but pear trees can be a great gift for all sorts of other wildlife too.

We are encouraging people to think about planting pear trees now, to benefit birds and other garden wildlife in the future.

At the time when most of us are thinking about all the chocolates…

• Woodland in grave danger

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Officer 

It’s a sad day when you have to point out the glaringly obvious! Today, The RSPB is expressing serious concern over potential damage to one of Suffolk’s most ancient areas of woodland. You would think that in a time of such overwhelming environmental concern, this kind of thing would not be allowed to happen.

You can read about this in today's  EADT:

http:…

• Did you go BIG with your bird watch this weekend?

With a few days of January left all I can say is it has been a funny old month! I’ve seen people out and about wearing flip flops, I’ve even seen folk out in the city with shorts on. I’ve seen people eating their lunch outside and I’ve been out on my bike with only a few light layers on. Hardly typical behaviour for January. Then again, looking out my window it has started…

• A Golden Opportunity

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

Have you ever had that dream where you’re running the 100 metres for your country at the Olympics? It’s all in slow motion, the crowd is going crazy as your feet take turns pounding the track, you can see the finish line in front of you getting ever closer and then... you wake up!

I know I have, and I probably will have this dream again as this…

• Eat food – save nature!

Blogger - Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

Here in the RSPB office we love our food. Cake is a regular fixture during the week and lunchtimes come with a melee of delicious smells emanating from the kitchen as people reheat their leftover dinners. There are a lot of fine bakers amongst the staff (proven when we had a cake sale recently and at least 10 people brought in homemade goodies) and we spend…

• Two Turtle Doves (the science behind the numbers)

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

TURTLE DOVE FACT FILE:

Description:  The gentle cat-like purr of the turtle dove is an evocative sound of summer, but has become increasingly rare following rapid and sustained population declines. The species is now included on the Red List of conservation concern.

Where to see them: It is mainly a bird of southern and eastern England, although it does reach as far as…

• Slowly slowly catch a monkey

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

Apparently we as a nation put on, on average, five pounds over Christmas. That’s quite impressive, even taking in to account the super size me tins of Quality Street sold everywhere pre-Christmas. The BBC seems to have taken this bit of information to heart as the New Year has brought with it an unusually large number of ‘get fit’ programmes. Catching the beginnings of one…

• Food for thought

The other night I came home from work with a food craving! Rest assured, it’s not a good one; not mango or pomegranate seeds or anything ‘healthy’ like that. No, sadly my craving was for sticky toffee pudding and it wasn’t going away. Gorgeous, rich, sticky toffee pudding with custard. I’m making my mouth water just writing about it again.

A…

• Luck be a lady ...

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

Why do certain images stay with you?  It seems obvious why memories of important events and meaningful people are filed away for a lifetimes musing upon, but why do some things remain lodged in your memory even though they have little or no relevance to everyday life?

This occurred to me the other day when, out of the blue, the image of something I must have seen once, as…

• What does Ancient mean to you?

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

www.youtube.com/watch

Until I started working for the RSPB I never knew how much we could really make a difference and get things changed. Apathy and a lack "umphhh" in the day to day grind often stops us thinking that we can make that difference. The great thing about the RSPB is that we are a bunch of like minded folks - our staff, volunteers and supporters all rally together…

• Look for the bare necessities

Blogger: Laura White, PA to Public Affairs Manager

Suddenly everyone around me has begun talking about children’s programmes and movies. Not the children’s films and programmes I remember like the great Crystal Tips and Alistair, Captain Pugwash and of course Mr Ben or the sublime Jungle Book or 101 Dalmatians. No, they’re talking about Madagascar, Beauty and the Beast and Toy Story. But funnily enough, even at my…

• Poems that win prizes for you and Nature!

Blogger: Matt Howard, Community Collections Scheme Officer

You may remember hearing about our very exciting poetry competition that we are running in partnership with leading independent UK poetry magazine, The Rialto.

We really have been moved and delighted by the entries received so far, but why not have a go yourself?  As well as offering poets the chance to win considerable cash prizes and publication of their poems…