• A different take on Halloween

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

It being Halloween this weekend and me representing the RSPB, I have been trying to think how I might liken the festival to nature for a seasonal theme in today’s article. But the more I think about it, the less similar the two seem. People have told me to write about ravens and crows, their blackness symbolising an (apparently) ethereal evil. I spent a morning searching…

• The oft forgotten link between nature reserves and the economy

Blogger: Sarah Green, Project Coordinator - Natura People Partnership Project

We all know nature reserves are important.  They are important for the species they host, for the breath of fresh air they provide and the wonderful views.  But what many people don’t realise is that nature reserves are also really good for the economy.

Huh, I hear you say?  No, don’t turn away, this is important, I promise.

For…

• Europe and what it can do for us

You may remember a blog post from a few weeks ago about a project called Natura People.  Well, today I’d like to tell you a little more about what we’re doing.  Last time I mentioned the partners and the different species you would find across the sites, this time I’m going to talk about how we’re spending the money.

• Childhood Heroes and Holiday Ideas

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Manager

As an adult it's hard to believe that you can still be star struck! I remember when I was a youngster and I'd go to see Norwich City play, the players always seemed so ... famous! I suppose I thought that as an adult you'd grow out of that excitement. But I was wrong! Last Sunday, I had the pleasure of meeting Chris Packham. Yes THE Chris Packham, star of Springwatch…

• Getting cold - need some food?

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

We all make excuses right? There is always a reason why or why not. That is why our To Do lists around the house never quite get done, like putting the safety catches on the doors or even doing that bit of craetive art work or reading that heavy but intellectual book.

The same for feeding the birds in your garden I find. Do they need it all year [Yes], what food do they…

• Travelling tales

One of the wonderful things about wildlife is that it doesn’t recognise geographical borders.  What do I mean by that?  Well, a badger, a butterfly, a hedgehog, a fox, an otter doesn’t care what county it’s in.  Birds will make long journeys across several different nations to reach their warm winter destination.  Because of this…

• Get hip this autumn

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

Do you need an aga to make decent jam? Since my recent acquisition of a very simple guide to making preserves, my kitchen has become akin to Willy Wonka’s factory. Giant copper-bottomed pans, strange metal funnels, a wooden spoon that I protect vehemently; it is to be used for jam-making and jam-making alone. But even with all this equipment, I still can’t get my jam to set…

• Go Wild about Norfolk!

Blogger : Rachael Murray

Have you ever wondered where the swifts go in winter, how bats see in the dark or how many legs woodlice have?

Well we often do!  So we are thrilled to announce that you can ask all these questions and more at Wild about Norfolk, one the biggest wildlife and environment fairs in the county, taking place tomorrow at Easton College, Norwich. 

This annual wildlife extravaganza, which is part funded…

• Feed the Birds Day - all year round

Blogger: Janet Moorse, Volunteer in the Communications Team

Whilst walking down the garden with the grass cuttings. My shadow was intersected by another fast moving shadow. I looked up to see a sparrowhawk over head. He whizzed past, then came to a standstill above the trees, obviously eyeing up a small snack. The robin who had been watching my progress with the lawn mower, sent up an alarm call and clattered into…

• A chance to be childish!

Blogger: Gena Correale Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

I am lucky enough to have gained a niece through my fabulous partner’s sister and husband, and Naomi is an absolute delight. The centre of the family, she charms everyone with her beautiful blue eyes and cheeky smile.

She has the world at her feet and everything a little girl of 20 months could want; toys, games, books, a sand pit! Yet she gets most…

• big knit cardigans, scarves, winter boots and snuggly jumpers

It’s not often I go clothes shopping. No really! But, last weekend I braved the crowds and the shops and headed for the high street. I needed to buy some shorts. Now I know it’s not exactly the height of summer, but I just couldn’t find any at all. The shops were full of big knit cardigans, scarves, winter boots and snuggly jumpers. All lovely and rather tempting but not what…

• Know Woodbridge, Get Voting

Blogger: Malcolm Key, RSPB Woodbridge Local Group

If you are the habit of voting on things then why not vote for one of our local groups new innovative projects “Six RSPB Suffolk Coastal Reserves Book”.

The project will update and extend a previous, unique publication produced by the RSPB Woodbridge Local Group, which is now out of date and out of print. The booklet  will provide the reader with historical…

• Let’s Celebrate the Creative Hart of the East!

Blogger: Rachael Murray

With our gorgeous landscapes and big skies as inspiration, it’s no wonder this region has such a burgeoning population of creative types.  And we’ve found one more to swell the ranks!

Budding Bury St Edmunds-based wildlife photographer, Ben Hart, 12, has been announced the winner of the under-13’s category of UK-wide RSPB photography competition, WildPix.

Each year, we encourage…

• Honk if you want to go faster!

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Media Officer

As I awoke last weekend, with the sun sparkling on my window pane and the house feeling unseasonably warm, it was hard to believe that it was October already.  So, my original plan of a fortifying autumnal walk on North Norfolk’s beautiful Holkham Beach was scuppered. 

I was forced to have a summery beach walk instead!  So, I swapped my trousers for shorts, my fleece for a…

• Do you know the difference between greater and lesser water parsnip?

I do, because Richard Mason, our warden at Sutton Fen taught me. And here he is taking quiet but giant steps for nature over on the reserve this month. Richard is a big supporter of our 'Steps for Nature' this month having started out as a residential volunteer himself.

Do we want more Richard Masons? Of course we do! Lets help plenty more budding conservationists Step Up for Nature and start helping to manage…

• What a load of rubbish

Blogger: Jenny Julian, Regional Development Officer

Did you know that homes in Norfolk throw away enough waste every year to cover the Carrow Road football pitch to a depth of 25m? Equivalent in height to two and a half double decker buses! Did you know that the UK buries more than 18 tonnes of household waste each year; that’s two million tonnes more than any other EU country?  And did you know that in less than…

• Feed the Students Day (we need your cakes)

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

Cookies, cakes, scones, biscuits, muffins, brownies, flapjacks, fridge cake, cheese straws, chocolate crispy cakes,  malf loaf, cupcakes, iced buns and more.

That’s right, we need all of the above at our Regional office in Norwich by 9am next Tuesday, 11 October!

Matt “Captain Pin Badge” Howard and I are going to the UEA next Tuesday to share these…

• Love is in the air

It always starts with a look doesn’t it? The first time your eyes meet, that twinkle, the smile that you don’t want to give away. Of course I’m talking about love! One of the most written about subjects in the whole world. Many things can get lost in translation, misinterpreted across seas, but not love. And the funny thing about love is how it can take you by surprise. I met…