• What were you like at school?

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

I must have spent much of my school life day-dreaming. We sat at work today peering from our strip lighted office to the drizzling rain outside and started discussing when summer turns to autumn and when autumn turns to spring. Apparently the season turns on the 21st day every three months. This I didn’t know and my delight upon recognition of the fact caused much amusement…

• Bank that holiday and make it count!

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

“Summer time and the living is easy, fish are jumping and the cotton is high”, the immortal words of summer. Or as the August bank holiday is upon us you could say something a little more like “Summer time and the traffic is heavy, kids are screaming and the end is nigh”.

So as the last few days of the holidays approach would you put yourself in…

• A Train Ride with a View

Blogger: Steve Rowland, Public Affairs Manager

Maybe it’s a legacy of studying Geography at University, but I do like to look out of train windows and try to read the landscape that I am passing through. The train journey that I do most frequently takes me through a real cross section of lowland landscapes. From King’s Lynn I first travel south west across the Fens, through a mosaic of large fields, drainage ditches…

• Charlotte's Summer Antics: Off to the Lodge

Blogger: Charlotte Pledger, Youth, Education and Families Officer

So onto visiting a family event at the RSPB’s headquarters at The Lodge. This time the theme was ‘Nature Discovery’. The 2 hour event was run by 3 fantastically organised and knowledgeable volunteers. Families were split into 2 groups and were lead round part of the reserve to discover nature.

Even before we got going, children and…

• of birds and cows

Blogger: Steve Rowland, Public Affairs Manager

Being office based I find it important to make time to get out and walk the ground with our wardening teams and find out a little more about their work managing some amazing landscapes for wildlife. So last Monday morning found me at a sunny Ouse Washes to meet our Site Manager Jon Reeves and Richard Woollard my counterpart at the Environment Agency.

At the Ouse Washes…

• When was the last time you made a den?

‘Life’s too short to stuff a mushroom’ Shirley Conran famously said. I couldn’t agree more Shirley, but it’s not too short to ice a cupcake or twenty. In fact it took me a whole morning of craning over the kitchen counter, spatula in one hand, handful of Smarties in the other to minutely decorate cakes and prepare dishes full of delicate treats for Robin’s third birthday…

• A Gooses egg or Geese eggs?

Blogger: Laura White (on behalf of all the A Team)

On the very rare occasion that the office based administrators have some spare time, they go and sit in our reception, that’s the place to be to find out what’s really going on.

There’s always something to be wondering about, sometimes the suspense is unbearable What will the new staff member be like? Who will make use of the hot desk? What will happen…

• Charlotte's Summer Ramblings: Elephants in the Fens

Last Friday saw me at one of Fen Drayton’s family events. I arrived feeling very good about my carbon footprint, having got there by train and the shiny new Guided Busway! The bus stops on the doorstep of the reserve so no excuses for not going for a visit to this beautiful part of the world.

The ‘Deadly Dozen Bug Hunt’ advertised on the Fen Drayton…

• What can we do about the riots?

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Manager

This week, I’ve been working on an incredible RSPB project. Our Minsmere reserve is having a bit of a make-over and in the new year we will have a fantastic, dedicated learning centre for youngsters and families to come and be inspired about nature.

And then, the riots happened in London and my attitude shifted. Not about the project I must add; I feel passionately about…

• "What's the point of Wasps?"

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

My Dad is a clever man, a bit too clever sometimes but clever none the less. However, when it comes to summer timeyou will see him flailing around his garden getting crosser and crosser. With gusto you will hear him shout ‘What's the point of b*!?@y wasps?’. This is a question that many al fresco diners may ask themselves this summer as they panic, clutching…

• Number Crunching & Chocolate Cake

Blogger: Mev Ahmad, Nuffield Volunteer

Excited to study Geology/Earth Sciences at University in 2012, I applied for the Nuffield Science Bursary and waited anxiously for the letter of acceptance. I was thrilled to discover that I had a 4 week placement with the regional RSPB office in Norwich.

My job involved working in the Volunteer & Farmer Alliance Project (V&FA). There are two sides to the project: fieldwork and…

• Tales of a Suburban Garden: The Fox and the Chaffinch

Blogger: Linda Roberts, Volunteer for Community Fundraising

Imagine my delight the other morning, opening my bedroom curtains and seeing a fox sunning himself in the flowerbed, not a care in the world. He stayed for about half an hour lazily grooming himself and then had a quick nap before strolling off. 

Another morning I was greeted with the sight of a sparrowhawk who briefly stopped on top of a tall conifer, I…

• Charlotte's Summer Antics: A little bit of Titch and Framp

So my journey around the region investigating family events continues. This week I have visited Titchwell and Frampton – different activities and very different weather conditions, but both engaging with loads of families.

I’ll start with my visit to Titchwell Marsh on Wednesday.... When I arrived everything was already set up by yet another fantastic…

• Steppin' out with my baby - The Broads Way

It made me laugh when, sitting behind me in the canoe this weekend, Paul suddenly mused, ‘Canoeing can either be beautifully graceful or incredibly ungraceful can’t it.’ I got the feeling that I fell in to the latter category as I paddled absent-mindedly towards the alder branches leaning towards us from the bank, whilst Paul battled doggedly to steer us on to a safer course…

• The GREAT outdoors

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

Today is my last day before a week off work and I am looking forward to getting out and about in the next 9 days. I’m off to London for a couple of days on Sunday and am looking forward to sitting in Greenwich park for the very first time with my boyfriend. On Monday we are going to visit two of my best friends to sit in the sun and enjoy an ice cold after…

• The good ol' days

I'm gutted. Wagon wheels don't have jam in them anymore. What's occurin'!?

In the good ol' days that fake Wheely jam sat tenderly against its pure white mallow like a jumped up jammie dodger.

But then in the good ol' days corncrakes croaked from the fields, corn buntings jangled from ripening corn and hedgerows were bursting with wild flowers.

Hmmmm, if there's a choice, you can keep the jammy…

• Great Folk at a Great Festival

Blogger: Steve Field, Membership Development Manager

The RSPB Eastern England membership team visits all manner of public events over the summer as we spread the word about the fine work of the RSPB, but the event I was most looking forward to attending this summer was the Cambridge folk festival, which took place last week at Cherry Hinton hall near Cambridge. I have to say the weekend exceeded my expectations.

More…

• What can I do with my summer holidays?

At a loose end this summer? Or even got a spare ten minutes? Then read on to find out how you can Step Up for Nature this month.

Campaign: CAP reform e-action - The EU will fail to get anywhere near its recently adopted biodiversity target without sufficient funds for farmers and land managers to help protect and enhance the farmed environment and its wildlife through the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). With cuts…

• terning life on its head

Blogger - Erica Howe, Communications Manager

I am a self-confessed list girl. I make lists for all kinds of things. My day at work, food shopping, chores, going on holiday. Post-it notes are now a handbag staple. This then becomes a pretty futile exercise because I have so many of them that I don't know where to start and I need another list! As i've gone through different points in my life, my priorities have changed…