• What do you do in the bath?

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

What do you do in the bath? Every evening I have a bath with my 8 month old and we soak the bathroom playing with his plastic animal toys. When I was in the bath the other day I couldn’t help going through each of the different aquatic beasties and telling stories about them and my adventures (it’s a daddy’s prerogative). Pelicans on the California coast, green turtles from…

• Now that's what I call a Summer Megamix

In the words of Dodgy (the 90’s indie band) “I'm staying out for the summer, playing games in the rain”. What a great attitude to have – get out there regardless. We tend to fall into two categories with regards to summer. The optimist: “Wahey, here comes summer, it’s going to be great” or the pessimist “Here comes the summer, bet it rains as usual”. Which category do you…

• Swiftly moving on

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Manager

This morning was one of the first morning’s i haven’t heard them in weeks. I live in a city centre, the heart of the action with houses crammed in wall to wall and although it’s a busy place to live, it’s not our neighbours who have been making all of the noise! For the last few weeks, i have been going to bed and waking up to the sound of the screaming swifts playfully darting…

• Charlotte's Summer Top Tips: The only way is Essex

Blogger: Charlotte Pledger, Youth, Education and Families Officer

Charlotte, our expert on all things to do with families and kids, is taking an intrepid wander around the East to see what great things you can do this summer. The Summer of 2011 - let's make it a good one (regardless of the weather).

Tuesday was one of those days when I thought I have the best job in the world. I spent the day down in the RSPB’s Discovery…

• Where have all the fish gone?

I have always had it drummed into me that when I have my fish and chips at the beach that I should not go for haddock and cod. Someone once told me that they are just as endangered as chimpanzees – and for those that know my affinity for primates this has always disturbed me. However, as I have said it is always good to assume nothing. So I have been having a look around…

• The owner of chewing gum tentacles and alimentary protuberance goes to...

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

It was my birthday in the week and I had an unexpectedly marvellous day. I was taking the dog for a walk around the footpaths of Worstead. As we neared the end of our route we ambled past a girl pruning the hedge of a neat cottage. It was raining but still a goat gambled happily in the garden. Fantastically the girl turned out to be a friend that I had regrettably lost touch…

• Things ain't what they used to be...

I am often nostalgic. The other day we went to the seaside at Cromer. We had fish and chips, took in the sea breeze, gobbled up a rum and raisin ice cream or two, enjoyed the pier and eyed up the helter-skelter. This is how I remember the seaside being as a kid, I like it that way and want it to be like that when my little man is a dad. A quintessential part of a coastal day…

• X Factor for Wildlife Friendly Farmers - You Decide!

Proud of coming from and living in the East? We need you. We are calling on members of the public to decide if Robert Law, a farmer in Eastern England, is the UK’s most wildlife friendly farmer.

After months sifting through hundreds of entries from farmers doing wonderful things for nature on their land, the judges for this year’s RSPB Telegraph Nature of Farming Award have made the tough decision and whittled…

• Today's the day the Teddy Bears have their picnic...

Last night was my second appearance onto BBC Radio Norfolk to fill in for our local celebrity farmer Chris Skinner! I love doing these slots, they really are a lot of fun and although the sick feeling in my tummy builds up from about 3 hours before, it soon disappears and the time in the studio flies by!  Matthew Gudgin is an excellent presenter and always gives us a great opportunity…

• KISS, The Grateful Dead and Kate Doubleday...what a line up!

Being in charge of our wedding i-Tunes playlist was a joy but a big responsibility. You always remember wedding with dodgy music. I like a bit of cheese but not a fan of the chicken dance or pushing pineapples or shaking trees. As our wedding was next to the beach we had a lot of great oldies that were marine related. My lovely lady joined me with Beyond the Sea by Bobby Darin…

• I spy with my little eye...

Last Sunday was very much like most other Sunday mornings in our house. Alarm ringing out at 6am and a mad dash out of the house. Sandwiches made, energy drinks prepared, book packed, bike kit in the boot, sat nav programmed in and a big cup of tea for the journey! Ok, so perhaps it’s not the calmest of ways to spend your Sunday morning, but I really love it. My other half…

• Saying it with flowers

Blogger: Niki Williamson, Fenland Farmland Bird Adviser

Have you ever wondered why flowers make people smile?  Many things that make us happy are things that promote our survival - a good square meal, a thirst-quenching drink on a sunny day. 

But what about flowers?  Sure they’re nice to look at, but you can’t really live off them, or use them to fight off predators.  But I love walking to my front door through…

• From fresh cream to Fibonacci

We were house sitting over the weekend and I was fascinated by the higgledy piggeldy melange of pictures that hung on the walls. A simple line drawing of a whooper swan in full flight. A copy of Constable’s hay wain showing a bulbous steel grey sky, the figures of a man and his horse tiny against the immensity of their surroundings. Next were scientific details of rare…

• FREE BEER

OK so this is not a post about free alcoholic beverages but about what flicks your switch – everyone likes free stuff right?

Yesterday morning, after many times poking my head into their doors, I stepped over the threshold of Warings Furniture Company – the big and beautiful glass building on Rose Lane. I had been intrigued by their coffee, a temptation and possibly…

• My Patch of Plenty

Six months in and still going strong. I have been here at my desk in Norwich working for the RSPB since January 4th. It is curious how you start to collect the usual shenanigans on your desk even within a short (but happy) six months. The photos of nearest and dearest, funny newspaper cuttings that make you smile, well used coffee mugs, a desk organiser that isn’t that organised…

• JUBILANT JULY Stepping up for Nature Steps

A little taster of some of the steps you could take this month to step up for nature.

Do: Swift Survey - They're some of the last spring migrants to arrive, and the first to leave. But they're in trouble. Swifts are now on the Amber List - they're birds of Conservation Concern. Their numbers have declined dramatically in the past 10 years; we're not sure why, but one…

• What is a "Sea Gull" to me?

“If I had a gun, i’d shoot them” was one of the comments I got whilst talking about gulls on BBC Radio Norfolk earlier this week! Needless to say, my mouth fell open and I instantly wanted to defend the plight of our sea-side town inhabitants. I realised that there is definitely some long overdue gull admiration needed.

Can you imagine what our coast would…