• Mr. Cuff Guy

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

It’s amazing how something small can be really noticeable. Yesterday my colleague Matt, Community Collections Scheme Officer, wore a shirt with cufflinks into the office. Coming from his background in insurance, his smart office shirt wouldn’t normally turn heads, but in our office it stuck out like a sore thumb!

He took quite a bit of stick for…

• Searching for stonies

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

If winter is great grey waves bellowing against the cold shingle of the Norfolk coast then summer is Breckland. Crisp heaths baked yellow by a clear sky. Heather growing red and purple by the side of bare paths and gorse pods crackling open in the heat. Then the cool of the forest and the luxury of a tree canopy overhead.

Last week I spent a day in the Brecks with the RSPB…

• Nature and Farming Judgement Day on 29 June?

Blogger - Simon Tonkin, Senior Farmland Conservation Officer

The signs from the EU in the last few days are that the President of the European Commission, José Manuel Barroso, is considering major cuts to pillar two of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). An essential fund that amongst other things pays farmers and landowners to manage their land in wildlife friendly ways (as pictured and taken just days ago)…

• Let's get every child outdoors!

Blogger: Charlotte Pledger, Youth, Education & Families Officer

I don’t know about you, but so many of my childhood memories involve welly-booted, muddy fun outdoors, searching for creepy crawlies, collecting leaves, shells and other bits and bobs from nature that took my fancy. Then, I took nothing for granted – every creature, nest, bug or strange shaped rock I discovered was a little miracle, something to…
  • Farming fuming

Blogger - Erica Howe, Communications Manager

It’s been a shocking week to say the least! And it’s only Tuesday!

The RSPB announced today that the EU are planning to sever a rather important leg from our Common Agricultural Policy. That all sounds rather jargonny I know so i’ll try to make it as simple as possible. Our old friend Mark Avery couldn’t have put it better himself.

Farmland covers…

• Midsummer magic is in the air!

Blogger: Rachael Murray

Midsummer’s eve is upon us, and, thanks to a memorable childhood trip to see Shakespeare’s ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’, my escapist sensibilities are kicking in and my thoughts are turning to magical woods, fairies and a delightful abundance of other-worldly flora and fauna found amongst enchanted undergrowth.

I still remember that night, snuggled in a sleeping…

• Romeo, Romeo, where for art thou ...

Blogger - Erica Howe, Communications Manager

What’s in a name? Ok so that’s a bit of a cliché, but it’s certainly a true sentiment in this instance. The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds is a great name, a name that we all know and love, but really, in all honesty doesn’t do our work justice.

We love birds and they are at the heart of everything we do, but there is so much more…

• Springwatch has Sprung

Blogger - Erica Howe Communications Manager

I know this will make me sound old (I can feel the grey hairs sprouting as I type!), but the last few weeks have simply flown by! It feels like only yesterday Spingwatch hit our screens and in the blink of an eye it has been drawn to a close for another year.

For me, it has been my favourite series by far. And no, it’s not just because it had the simply stunning RSPB Ynys …

• L.O.V.E 101 Hours to go.

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

I am having a Moulin Rouge moment.

I blame Erica for coming in this morning and saying that she was serenaded by her fella Moulin Rouge style. I am a bit of a Baz Luhrmann fan and sucker for a good song medley.

Love is a many splendid thing. Love lifts us up where we belong. All you need is love. In the name of love. I will always love you. How wonderful life is now you…

• Here's the science bit

Ping! Into my email inbox was a friendly reminder for me to take part in Make your Nature Count. I had signed up a week or so ago and not quite got around to doing it (blame a teething baby). Apparently our summer wildlife survey has revealed some unexpected results in its first few days this year. Over half of participants so far have reported sightings of bats, showing how important gardens are for them. And numbers…

• Swifts are screaming out for help

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Media Officer

Photo credit: Andy Hay (rspb-images.com)

We are urging people in the East to carry on stepping up for swifts this summer, as these extraordinary birds start arriving in our big skies. Our Swift Search kicks off again this month, to help build a better picture of where the birds are still seen and could be nesting.

Swifts have declined by a third in recent years and they have…

• Swifts, Swallows & House Martins - I am a bit clueless

I don't know about you but I have loved having our summer visitors here. As they soar overhead in the evening I wish I knew a little more about which was which – I know it shouldn’t really matter and I should be happy to just enjoy their flirtatious skirting of rooftops. There is something maybe geeky or nerdy about it, identifying something, giving it a name, putting it…

• What's in a logo?

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Manager

You can call us biased if you like, but we’re totally smitten! I know it’s the tail-end of Spring and all sorts of cute, wonderful wildlife things are happening, but these little creatures have to be among the most adorable!

Not only are they the RSPB’s iconic logo, but avocets, for all kinds of reasons, are instantly recognisable. Whether it’s their absolutely…

• Make Your Nature Count - The Bigger Everywhere Wildlife Count this Week

So I am getting the hang of this now, stepping up for nature is all about doing that little bit more than you usually do – even if you do work for the RSPB. This coming week gives you another opportunity to do this with Make Your Nature Count.  

The RSPB’s third Make Your Nature Count survey is happening from 4-12 June.  Please find an hour to watch your garden and…

• Who’s this little fellow?

Blogger: Laura White, PA to Public Affairs Manager

There’s always a race in the office at lunchtime to eat as quickly as you can and then get outside. In the winter our outside excursions are often cut short due to inclement weather, during this time we’re very thankful for the sandwich delivery service and our office microwave, but as soon as the weather gets a little bit brighter we all begin to head off outside. I…

• Digging for History

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Media Officer

Archaeologists from the University of Cambridge have teamed up with the RSPB and local communities to hunt for the remains of a lost wetland paradise between 01 and 10 June.

Funded by a University of Cambridge Knowledge Transfer grant, this exciting project will combine excavation and scientific study of Willingham Mere, a drained prehistoric lake, and provide an opportunity for…