• Running, Cycling and Stepping up for Nature

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Manager

It was full of highs and lows, sweat, smiles and cheers, but we made it! The EastCoasters completed their relay from RSPB Minsmere to RSPB Titchwell in 10 hours and 45 mins on Sunday 29 May. The weather was kind to us, there was a little breeze blowing but that certainly didn’t knock anyone’s enthusiasm!

Becky set off at the unsociable hour of 7.45am running the…

• Brown paper packages tied up with string...

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

We went in to the city on Saturday, for the bank and for me to buy a dress for a wedding. It reminded us that we are more country folk than city folk. There’s not much space in the city is there? Still, ask my sister or my best friend Huw, both hardened city types, and they’ll tell you of their favourite view; lights twinkling from a darkened cluster of skyscrapers, or their…

• Boys Toys and Great Tits

Blogger: Emily Field, RSPB Volunteer & Farmer Alliance Project Officer (Bird Survey Data & Advice)

Raaagh! My Camera Broke just as I knew I had my last opportunity to snap the great tits feeding chicks in our nest box! Sure enough I went there this morning and my allotment was silent, a quick peep confirmed my suspicion- yes they’d gone! Frustration aside- this is such a lovely story for me.

It all starts…

• Oh so coot!

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

Last weekend I visited Titchwell Marsh reserve for the first time in about 18 months. I was hoping to spy some of the ‘star species’ that the North Norfolk coast has to offer, including marsh harrier, bittern and bearded tit. Before I started work at the RSPB I had never heard of, let alone seen any of these birds, but it’s strange how they so easily become…

• Well would you bee-lieve it!

Blogger: Kim Matthews, Campaigns Intern

My best friend knows me so well.  Gifts in recent years have included home-made hedgerow jam (yum!), tickets to see the Foo Fighters (woohoo!), a sponsored acre of eucalyptus forest in Australia to help koalas, a hedgehog box built by her own hands to Hedgehog Preservation Society standards and finally a bug box for my garden.

The bug box arrived on my birthday four or five years…

• Gena Needs Your Help!

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

Wildlife in the UK is teetering on the edge. Even dressed as a bumblebee, I can’t save it alone! Help is desperately needed at the following Love Nature street collections in the next 2 weeks:

Norwich Longwater Lane Sainsbury’s – Saturday 28 May from 2pm onwards

Norwich Queens Road Sainsbury’s – Thursday 9 June (from 12pm) 

• RSPB and Social Media - a beautiful partnership

Bird family ‘tweet’ in a very different way!
    Manchester peregrines at cutting edge of social media technology

Gemma Hogg, RSPB media officer (press release)

Peregrine falcons tend to screech rather than tweet, but one family of raptors in Manchester are doing both.

Fans of the famous Manchester peregrines can now follow the charismatic birds of prey via an innovative new automated Twitter account, thanks…

• Don't get yourself in a knot, be part of something bigger

Perhaps David Cameron should take some tips from our very own Paul Lambert. Norwich City hasn’t exactly had an easy time over the last few years. It takes a lot to bounce back from a losing streak, to get your head into gear and stay positive. Next year will be a true test for our green and yellow army, but full respect has to go to them for playing their socks off this year…

• Dizzying Heights of the Minsmere "Treehouse"

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

Do you remember the Great Storms of ’87? I don’t. I slept through them, but I do remember sitting astride a huge sweet chestnut tree the following day. It had crashed to the ground overnight, leaving a huge ragged hole where it had once stood, ropes of tender root sprouting from the tree’s base like springs from an old, baggy mattress. The tree was so tall that it kept us…

• See where the birds come on their holidays

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Media Officer

Fancy seeing more than one hundred species of birds in a day including breeding birds rarer than golden eagle? World Migratory Bird Day was initiated in 2006 and is a global awareness-raising campaign highlighting the need for the protection of migratory birds and their habitats. This weekend people around the world will take action and have organise public events such as bird…
  • Getting into that Green (and yellow) frame of mind

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

Now I am not a football fan (hopefully I haven't just lost half of you) I blame it on my folks travelling around a lot when I was a wee one. I never had a team that I could support and be proud of. My soon-to-be-father in law is always a bit disappointed with this as he can not wax lyrical about the highs and lows of Sunderland FC.

I have to admit, I was blown away the…

• WATCH OUT... GIANT OWL’S HUNTING FOR YOU

'OWLBERT' IN NORWICH STREETS TO FIND NATURE VOLUNTEERS

A giant owl called 'Owlbert' will be flapping around Norwich with his huge silver and green binoculars tomorrow (Tuesday 10 May). But rather than hunting for voles and mice, he's searching for nature lovers who may want to raise money for local wildlife projects. The RSPB team is aiming to raise £10,000 during its Love Nature Week (28 May to 5…

• Rainbows and Red kites

What is it about seeing a rainbow that makes you feel  totally exhilarated? We all know the science behind a rainbow. Even as a youngster, the theory behind the rain and then the sun was a process that we learnt inherently. Of course, the pot of gold and the leprechaun was always the preferred fantasy! But seriously, seeing a rainbow is a magical experience, like you're being…

• Tale of a Cockney Driveway

Blogger: Laura White, PA to Public Affairs Manager

I commute to work, I'm originally from London, a cockney born and bred, and when I first moved to Norfolk I was really surprised at the attitude of my new Norfolk friends who could not believe that I would commute for an hour (in London it takes you an hour to get anywhere, even with public transport) from the lovely Norfolk coast into Norwich for a job. But what a job…

• A touch of Norfolk, a home for Wildlife

Blogger: Mary Gamblin, Eastern England Regional Office Volunteer

Waking on a sunny morning is always a joy but especially now as I look out at my glorious bird cherry tree in full blossom - without even leaving my bed! It's tall and slender, growing between a wild cherry and a whitebeam and now, for a brief fortnight, it is covered in plump white cones of flowers that shimmer in the sunlight. Just beyond, the wild cherry…

• Afraid of Raptors?!

Blogger: Simon Tonkin, Senior Farmland Conservation Officer

All this royal wedding stuff has left me wondering a few things about how great it is to be British, but also two issues in particular that I'm not so happy about. I pondered whilst watching the public royal hysteria, what it must have been like in our countryside during those previous royal weddings.

Isn't it really frustrating and absolutely shameful…

• Royal jelly anyone?

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communitions Officer

Behind every great man there is a great woman, or so they saying goes. With 1900 people invited to Friday's royal wedding, McVities commissioned to make the cake and a gigantic bejewelled engagement ring, I wonder whether, now the celebrations are over, a fly-on-the-wall would find Kate picking up her new husbands balled up socks from the bathroom floor in her jogging bottoms…