• Surprise Encounters of the Gold Kind

Blogger: Kim Matthews, Membership Development Officer 

Am I the only one that deletes, unopened, their LoveFilm "Your next rental is on its way..." email?  Quite probably, but the reason behind this small symptom of madness is that I like the surprise when I open the envelope.

When it comes to wildlife encounters I feel the same way. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy visiting my nearby reserves where I am almost…

• Spring is Coming

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

There's always something going on at home. Always someone driving up the long track and parking up in the courtyard to drop something off, pick something up, walk a dog or return home. We hang out of car windows and tractor cabs to shout hello's to one another or stop to banter about recent goings on. Is your car fixed now? What do you think of this rain? The red deer were…

• Something for the Weekend: Free as a Bird

Blogger: Helen Leach, Receptionist (Eastern Regional Office).

Every week I pop along to my yoga class hoping to relieve myself of life’s stresses and achieve that, sometimes seemingly elusive, state of total relaxation and connect with myself again.

Last week the class started as normal talking about our focus for the session and then after over an hour of bending, twisting and inverting my body into what looked…
  • Ouse News pt2

Blogger: Jon Reeves, Site Manager for the Ouse Washes

The ideal conditions on the Ouse Washes last week, which resulted in fantastic birding opportunities, are now a memory. High tides coupled with rainfall in the catchment area has resulted in a rising flood which is now bank to bank and making bird watching more of a challenge. Farmland birds  can be viewed from the visitor centre are continuing to delight, with often…

• If you go down to Verulamium Park today you're sure of a big surprise...

Blogger:  Murray Brown, RSPB Volunteer Project Coordinator 

The RSPB's St Albans 'Date With Nature' got off to a flying start last weekend.  The project aims to show people the nesting grey herons on the island in the lake and some of the other wildlife that calls the park home.  Despite the weather being somewhat "British" on Saturday, RSPB volunteers and staff were out there with a throng of nearly 100 visitors…

• Something for the weekend....

Photo taken recently at the Ouse Washes reserve:

HOW MANY SWANS CAN YOU SEE? Begin the counting now and add your guesses as comments underneath... answer on Monday.

• Superstition ain’t the way

At least that is what Stevie Wonder believes.  I never thought of myself as particularly superstitious although I do tend to avoid walking under ladders, but that is just elementary health and safety.  I may even have been heard to utter a "Good morrow Mr Magpie" on spotting a solitary individual of those striking black and white birds, but surely that is just good…

• Ouse News

Blogger: Mike Burdekin, Off Site Warden - Ouse Washes

The conditions on the reserve are excellent. The current water level has created a wide variety of feeding opportunities for both wildfowl and waders. Most species of wildfowl are plentiful and many of the whooper and Bewick's swans have taken to staying on the reserve or the farmland immediately behind the hides. This is a fantastic opportunity to see them close…

• From Bitterns and Otters to Fantails and Orangutans

Blogger: Steve Field, Membership Development Manager 
    It’s almost a year since I took the plunge and decided to dip into my meagre savings and book the holiday of a lifetime to New Zealand and Borneo. As I prepare to jet off later in the week, I’m starting to get quite excited about the adventures that lie ahead, including a week of walking and sea kayaking in Abel Tasman National Park on the South Island of New Zealand…
  • H has found himself a lady friend

Blogger: Kathryn Leigh, Date with Nature Officer

Well it is the time of year for courtship, fights, mating, breeding and rearing young and H is on his first step to this year's family. However, he is rather premature and has found his potential partner in the office! She is a fine specimen, the larger lady, just how he likes them. Thankfully, she has agreed to go down to St Albans with him, so there is a blossoming…

• My Valentine’s date – with Nature

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

This Valentine's day I am showing my love in many ways... presenting my boyfriend with a romantic treasure hunt, giving one of my best friends a handmade card to show how much I love and appreciate her, and I am using the rest of my affection to sign up for this year's Love Nature Week! I have never been a huge 'Valentine's' fan but I do think it's a great…

• Name that bird, Colin

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Manager

They're a bit like Colin Firth really aren't they, crows? I'm not talking about his charming good looks, his wonderful articulation and his knee-weakening exit from the 'pond' scene in Pride and Prejudice, but the way people quickly jump to conclusions about him. Only recently did my trip to the cinema to see The Kings Speech, leave me wanting to tell everyone I know about…

• Time for Jack Frost

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

Look out, look out, Jack Frost is about! I love the idea that if you glanced out to the fields in the crisp early hours of a January morning you might glimpse a spiky figure darting from tree to tree. Sharply glistening hair do glowing white in the moonlight, ice crystals crackling over leaves and grass, spread by a mere graze from Jack's fingertips. I know exactly what Jack…

• The Ghosts of the Hickling highway

Blogger: Becky Ingham, Face to Face Team Manager

I have a white car, occasionally.

Strictly speaking, for the 2 days a month after cleaning it. In between times it reverts to its traditional Norfolk winter plumage of muddy brown, with odd insults scrawled in the back. This is the downside of life on the Norfolk coast in the winter months and I have to say, it's not a bad price to pay for some of the amazing wildlife…

• They Think It's All Over...

What do a sofa, Andy Murray and a cup of tea have in common?  Well, last Sunday they were all part of my Big Garden Bird Watch! 

It's not often that bird watching involves comfy furniture, or tennis for that matter.  However on Sunday morning the Murray match had already begun by the time I settled myself onto the arm of the sofa.  Armed with a supersized mug of…

• Good grief Tenerife!

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, RSPB Community Fundraising Officer

Last week I spent a lovely week on annual leave in sunny Tenerife. Not only were my friends and I excited about relaxing by the pool and basking in the sun like lizards, we were looking forward to seeing some too. With over 100 endemic species of fauna, more than 50 bird species and several reptile and mammals inhabiting this volcanic island we were expecting…

• Best Served Chilled

Blogger: Janneke Dobben, Membership Development Assistant

How did you spend your Saturday? Shopping? Gardening? Freezing your socks off in Norwich City Centre with only a bright green marquee saving you from the elements? I'm guessing not the latter. The dismal weather through the winter months is not enough to stave off us hardcore recruiters, and all through December and January we have been battling the cold, snow…