• Identity Crisis

So the keen and observant ones amongst you would have spotted our slight change to our blog group title. The blondes in question have not been turned into bugs you will be pleased to know. The proliferation of non-blondes in the team meant that it was time for a change. I still consider myself a blonde and do even have "blonde moments" but as winter limps along my winter plummage changes to its more dull appearance. …

• Pimp my Heron

Blogger: Becky Ingham, Face to Face Team Manager

"How is H (the cleverly named Heron) doing?", the masses ask. He is now on his way to the repainting clinic, to have a lick of new feathers, some go-faster stripes and potentially a built in stereo, ready for his annual exciting excursion to eastern Englands largest heronry in St Albans. Each year, H plays an important part in this Date with Nature, standing next to…

• Thoughts of home

I bumped in to an old primary school friend the other day. I hadn’t seen her for 17 years but she seemed just as lovely as she had been back then. She reminded me
    of playtime at my childhood home. Us building rafts together to float on the lake and my mum making us chicken kievs – Lucy’s favourite for tea time. The sky would turn Prussian blue outside the kitchen window as the blackbirds hurried to and fro, making…
  • When will I, will I be famous?

Without wanting to put that rather overplayed Bros hit from way back in the day in your head, it's not too far from the truth! As Communications Manager for the RSPB in the East, my role is as varied as a Blue Peter Presenter's and as exciting as a lead part on EastEnders. Ok, so EastEnders may not be everyone's cup of tea, but hopefully you get my point! Aswell as the the writing, the talking, the listening and…

• I am a Janner Birder - what are you?

Blogger: Simon Tonkin, RSPB Senior Farmland Conservation Officer

I am a Janner Birder! A Janner is to Plymouth what a Scouser is to Liverpool or a Geordie to Newcastle. I spent all of my childhood birding the Plymouth, with delights like the rusty anchor (a sewage outfall), fishscale beach (a fish factory discharge pipe) and the pool of dreams (a pool that never produced anything!).

I'm sure I have sold the birding…

• Monday Morning Ditty

Blogger: Laura White, PA to Public Affairs Management Team

I'm one in a million voices but I don't want to be out in the field

Don't want to watch bitterns feeding on fish, spot redshanks, wigeon or teals.

I don't want to spend time on a small boat giant waves lashing about

Just to add weights to a fishing line to give the albatrosses a shout

I don't want to march through the streets waving my banner…

• Welcome Back H

Blogger: Kathryn Leigh, Date with Nature Officer

Well, it's that time of the year when H, our model heron needs to get himself spruced up. After one hell of a season last year, H was rushed to hospital for a minor operation on one of his legs. This did not go well, and the procedure was more complicated than first thought, with the result being an overnight op in theatre. The good news is H is out today, he is looking…

• Supplies for the Winter

When you are looking at your feathery visitors to your garden enjoying there fat balls have ever wondered how your local friendly RSPB staff get through the winter as well? Well, for the Public Affairs team in the Norwich office the fat balls equivalent are donuts and cookies. At least this is the case for our monthly office meeting where we discuss all things public affairs like, such as our pin badge scheme, volunteers…

• Look Up!

They flew like a stream of black bullets, shadowed against the darkening silver sky. Just as the sea-tide is pulled to and fro by the moon, the starlings swayed and curved above me. Thousands of them, each bird a separate etching in a charcoal coloured cloud of wings. As my car drew away from the traffic lights, smaller troops of starlings hurtled towards the main group. They appeared from no where, behind trees, over…

• Shrugging off those January Blues

In the first days of a new year it's hard to avoid cliché or the routine. The New Year lull. I always feel it, that slow, readjustment back to the workaday. It's also the time for the release of a seemingly endless stream of weight loss DVDs, all manner of self-help books and whatever else can be target-marketed to tell us what lifestyle we should be aspiring to. This year there's a VAT increase and the Prime Minister…