• Feed the birds ...

It may have been an early start this morning, but watching the birds in my garden and sipping tea with Radio Norfolk’s Wally Webb isn’t exactly hard work and we had a lot of fun telling the Radio Norfolk listeners how they can help their feathered friends on Feed The Birds Day and into the winter months.

Wally and his BBC Radio Norfolk car parked up outside the house just before 8am and the birds were, well…

• Confronting the hard facts of Hard Rain

Oiled bird, credit: D.Rodrigues / UNEP / Still Pictures

I’ve got a framed photo in my bedroom and one of my friends has got the exact same one on the shelf in his kitchen. The photo is of a Montagu’s harrier, the centre of a wildlife watching project that I worked on, gliding on grey-blue wings and staring imperiously down from it’s lofty flight towards the camera. The picture is a good few years…

• Don't mention the C word

Uncertain future for the grey partridge
    It has certainly been a busy week all round. I don’t really want to mention the C word, through fear of it’s very mention sending you all dashing for the return button. But it would be an oversight to not touch on the government’s spending review and the aftermath of our budget cuts. And with it, the very deep hole that now sits in the nation’s spending.…
  • A shy, medallion wearing geezer? The contradiction of the acorn collector...

Jay image copyright Liz Cutting, www.lizcuttingphotos.com
    How many conkers have you collected this autumn? If you’ve got children or grandchildren then I’d guess at least thirty and if you haven’t, there is still something so pleasing about their glossy chestnut gleam that I bet there is one in your pocket from your last stroll.
    Spare a thought for the busy jay, who takes collecting rather more…
  • Oh I do like to be beside the seaside

I’ve often wondered why being near the sea is so captivating. In all the years i’ve lived in Norfolk and holidayed sporadically along the coastline of the UK, the sea has always drawn me in.  When the winds blow in from the North Sea and you’re stood on the Norfolk Coast, wrapped up in your jacket and hat, fingers freezing and cheeks biting, you sometimes feel like the only person in the world. Not in a lonely…
  • Let's Make Badgers Count!

It comes as no surprise to me that the recent results of the RSPB’s Make You Nature Count survey showed that badgers were the least spotted mammal in gardens across the east. They are a secretive lot it seems, their general demeanour never described more eloquently than by Kenneth Grahame in his masterful novel, The Wind in the Willows; ‘The Mole had long wanted to make the acquaintance of the Badger. He seemed, by all…