• RSPB office goes wild for the day

More often than not, when I tell people that I work for the RSPB, their response is ‘Wow – that must be a great place to work’ or ‘Blimey, that’s a cool job’. And do you know what, they're absolutely right. On a weekly basis the work of a Communications Officer looks a little bit like this; 30 cups of tea, 3 press releases drafted and sent out, 3 radio interviews given, 8 meetings attended, 1 proper lunch break, 5 blogs…
    • 30 Sep 2010
  • wink, wink, wink, wink

Pink footed geese, Image from RSPB images 
    It’s a noise that cuts through the conversation in the RSPB’s Snettisham reserve office, as each of us recognising the sound, automatically leaves our desks and moves to the windows to gaze into the cloudy grey sky.
    For a moment we can’t see anything and then there they are, the first of the winter. High above us perhaps as many as 300 Pink Footed Geese in…
    • 28 Sep 2010
  • Bearded wonders...

Bearded tit image courtesty of Kevin Simmonds, www.wildlifeimagery.co.uk
    Bearded tits don’t subscribe to the Ronseal approach of ‘does what it says on the tin’ because they are actually neither tits nor bearded. Research places these dainty golden brown birds as the only British member of a tropical family, the babblers. And as for the beard, well, you don’t need to be a facial hair expert to know that isn’t a beard…
    • 27 Sep 2010
  • Oil spill in the Thames

Sometimes we are reminded just how vulnerable the natural world is and how at mercy of human actions it is at all times.

No one could have watched the BP Gulf of Mexico disaster without fearing for marine and bird life.

Just yesterday, we had one of those ‘oh no’ moments in our region too, with the news that about 500 litres of oil had leaked from a ship in the Thames Estuary. The oil soon spread and reached…
    • 21 Sep 2010
  • Don't cut our curlews

Often, in spring, I’m thrilled to hear an unusual wailing call sailing its way with the wind across RSPB Minsmere nature reserve. It sounds like a high-pitched referee’s whistle. This means one thing – the stone curlews are back.
    These birds are extremely rare and I always feel privileged to be able to go and see them at Minsmere (not something that everyone gets to do because they…
    • 17 Sep 2010
  • Nature is amazing!

Did you get the rain over the past few weeks too? Sheets of slanting, leaden rain plummeting from a bulging grey sky. The garden was glad for it, but the watery chill certainly didn’t make it feel like August. On one of these wet afternoons, huddled inside with puddle-lakes forming outside the door, I sat peering from the window down to the courtyard below. A line of swallows were shivering on the telephone wire just…
    • 15 Sep 2010
  • It's been a rollercoaster ride.

Have you ever been on one of those rollercoaster rides, the ones where you plummet into a dark hole from a crazy height emerging only seconds later into the light looking shell-shocked, hair dishevelled and knuckles white? The moment that really makes my tummy go all jittery is when you’ve just had the safety harness pulled over your head, the mechanics start kicking in and you go clunk, clunk, clunk, up the rollercoaster…

• 8 Sep 2010
  • No longer scared of the snake in the grass

Grass snake image copyright Kevin Simmonds, www.wildlifeimagery.co.uk
    Snakes are up there with spiders and sharks in the ‘horror movie’ wildlife list. An unexpected encounter with a snake is guaranteed to make your heart beat raise a notch or two. Our primeval instincts kick in and for many of us our first thought is ‘danger!’
    Snakes well and truly get bad press; if they’re not portrayed as…
    • 6 Sep 2010
  • There's no need to be part of the X Box generation

Apparently it took me ages to say my first word, but when I did eventually decide to make myself heard I pronounced 'horse' with such clarity that it took my mum aback. I think the fact that I could look out on to a stable yard from my cot must have had something to do with it. Strange too that my first word really stuck with me - I am completely in love with anything equestrian to this day!

So I'm really pleased…

• 3 Sep 2010
  • Falling in love with a sandy carpet ...

Hummingbird hawk moth
    Every summer, when I was young, my parents would take me and my brother off camping for a fortnight’s holiday.  These camping trips were always carefree and despite the inevitable rainy days stuck in the tent, the middle-of-the-night trip to the loos in my wellies and having to boil our water the ‘old-fashioned way’, I wouldn’t have changed them for anything. Camping does however, expose a whole new world; a world…
    • 1 Sep 2010