• Swifts, Swallows & House Martins - I am a bit clueless

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

I don't know about you but I have loved having our summer visitors here. As they soar overhead in the evening I wish I knew a little more about which was which – I know it shouldn’t really matter and I should be happy to just enjoy their flirtatious skirting of rooftops. There is something maybe geeky or nerdy about it, identifying something, giving it a name, putting it…

• 8 Jun 2011
  • Inspiring our future conservationists

Blogger: Agnes Rothon

Can you remember what it was that inspired you to do the job that you do today or the job that you did throughout your working life? I can remember mine and I revisited it quite by accident the other day.

I was clearing out the spare room – the drawers at the bottom of the book case were beginning to sag under the weight of the cargo that they carried. It was time to get down to the serious business…

• 19 Aug 2013
  • Volunteering has got me closer to nature

Studying BSc Ecology at UEA and volunteering in the RSPB’s communications team are completely different, yet so similar – the bottom line being conservation, conservation, conservation. The past year, I have not only had the closest nature experiences of my life, but have learnt why conserving our wildlife really is so important.

Training to be an ecologist requires a large amount of field work – something…

• 12 Aug 2013
  • A new home for glow worms

Blogger - Agnes Rothon

The good news is that another creature, the glow worm, has decided to call RSPB Lakenheath Fen nature reserve its home. My first experience of glow worms came when reading Roald Dahl’s classic novel James and the Giant Peach as a boy - one of the creatures that James shares his epic journey in the peach with is a glow worm.  I learnt from the book that they are curious creatures – perhaps…

• 5 Aug 2013
  • Pear trees not just for partridges

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communication Officer

You may find yourself humming the classic Christmas line about a partridge in a pear tree this festive season, but pear trees can be a great gift for all sorts of other wildlife too.

We are encouraging people to think about planting pear trees now, to benefit birds and other garden wildlife in the future.

At the time when most of us are thinking about all the chocolates…

• 5 Jan 2012
  • First sounds of Spring

Blogger: Steve Rowland, Public Affairs Manager

Spring seemed a long way off last week as I took my lunchtime walk through the woods, the leaves on the trees were yet to unfurl, the ground was bare and covered in a mulch of last autumns dead leaves, and a light, cold wintry rain drizzled down.

And yet I realised that my mind had picked up on the subtle changes in the quality of light and drawing out of the days. I became…

• 13 Mar 2012
  • Hen harriers dropping like flies

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Manager

We reported on some rather shocking news this week. The hen harrier is the bird most likely to become extinct in England because of human pressure. I’ve only ever seen a hen harrier once; on a visit to RSPB Titchwell Marsh last Christmas. As I stood on the path i was freezing with the bitter wind blowing through my rather unsuitable, not-very-winterproof-coat! My eyes were…

• 19 Dec 2011
  • The legal status of corvids in the UK

Crows, jackdaws and rooks are protected under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 and the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. This makes it illegal to intentionally take, injure or kill them, or to take, damage or destroy an active nest or its contents. However, the law recognises that in some circumstances control may be necessary. The UK Government issues annually a general licence (for which it is not necessary…

• 8 Apr 2013
  • Go get your adventure boots on!

When i was a young girl, my summer holidays were longed for. We would dream about those hot summer days in the depths of winter and when they finally came round, the freedom was overwhelming. No school for 6 weeks! Only now that i’m an adult does it dawn on me how tough summer holidays can be for parents. Juggling your annual leave, asking favours from relatives, and what on earth do you do when it’s raining?!…

• 29 Jul 2013
  • From our gardens to our farms - Giving nature a Home in the East

With 70% of the UK farmed, farmland is of pivotal importance for our wildlife and we need wildlife friendly farmers to give nature a home, Nicholas tells us how he runs a successful farm business whilst providing important habitats for birds, insects and flowers.

As I sat down with my wife, Anne, for supper last Saturday, I realised what a special day I’d had. I had been out checking Tree Sparrow nest boxes with my…

• 19 Jul 2013
  • Where to let your wild thing roam

Whenever I stand on the sea wall at RSPB Wallasea Island, with the dust-muddied estuarine water lapping at the sea aster, looking at an egret silhouetted against clouds resting on the tide, mottling the sun, I feel wholly wild.

Inside all of us is a wild thing. It gnashes, it gnaws and it roars, like an encroaching tide, desperate to be sated, longing to be let out. The beast within that we dampen in our day-to-day…

• 25 Oct 2017
  • Ramblings of a Natural Family Man

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer (Marketing & Brand)

This is a little view into my world, it is my own personal experience of my natural family man's way of life. It may not be the norm but may resonate with some of you. If it does then please forward this on to your friends. Thanks and enjoy relaxing days.

The Natural Family Man

i-phone in hand

his and hers converse trainers

fat face gilet…

• 15 Jul 2013
  • No bat, yeah bat, no bat......

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Projects Officer

At the RSPB, we are well known for our royal allegiance to birds.  And, whilst we think things with beaks are pretty marvellous, it’s less known that we also spend a great deal of time protecting, campaigning for, and creating space for all manner of other beastie.  

And though I know this theoretically, it’s been working on The Lodge wind turbine project that has really…

• 20 Jul 2012
  • Ash trees – the silent victim

The countryside may be awash with crimson red and burnt orange, but a sinister force is creating a dark cloud over Autumn in the UK.

Chalara fraxinea (try pronouncing that after a glass of red wine!) is a disease that has decimated Ash tree species throughout Northern Europe, already affecting over 90% of Ash trees in Denmark and Sweden and is present as far as Belgium.

Until recently the UK was unaffected, but it now…

• 30 Oct 2012
  • Go wild and uncover the nature on your doorstep!

We are calling on families to get outdoors, get creative, get exploring and get wild this Spring. The Wild Challenge is the RSPB's brand new online awards scheme encouraging children, families and schools to go out and get closer to the natural world.

By completing the 30 fun and engaging activities, families can log their achievements on the website and receive bronze, silver and gold awards! Each activity comes…

• 4 Apr 2017
  • Events for your wild things this half-term

As Halloween approaches, creatures are hunkering down and hibernating, but across RSPB nature reserves, in the depths of enchanted forests, mystical marshes, frightening fens, and haunted heathlands there remain many beasts that go bump in the night.

You don’t have to go far to experience the #wildthings. This October half-term we'll be on hand to showcase beasts that creep, crawl, flap and slither, in a range of #wildthing…

• 21 Oct 2017
  • Register for the Big Garden Birdwatch 2018

It's time to once again fill up your feeders and register for the Big Garden Birdwatch 2018.

Last year, over 76,000 people in the East, and close to half-a-million people nationally, joined in with the world’s largest garden wildlife survey, counting more than eight million birds.

This year we are asking you to do the same again. Over just one hour, on the weekend of the 27 and 28, or Monday 29 January, we…

• 13 Dec 2017
  • "What's the point of Wasps?"

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

My Dad is a clever man, a bit too clever sometimes but clever none the less. However, when it comes to summer timeyou will see him flailing around his garden getting crosser and crosser. With gusto you will hear him shout ‘What's the point of b*!?@y wasps?’. This is a question that many al fresco diners may ask themselves this summer as they panic, clutching…

• 12 Aug 2011
  • Nestboxes make prime real estate for birds

The snow may have vanished as quickly as it appeared but the cold, dark days of winter have lingered on. This being said, do not become too accustomed to these seemingly bare days, because if you look a bit closer you might just find the tiny green buds flourishing on our trees and the overzealous shoots ready to blossom at any second. Then take a second to listen to the increasing trills of bird song and inhale a deep…

• 20 Feb 2017
  • Woodland in grave danger

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Officer 

It’s a sad day when you have to point out the glaringly obvious! Today, The RSPB is expressing serious concern over potential damage to one of Suffolk’s most ancient areas of woodland. You would think that in a time of such overwhelming environmental concern, this kind of thing would not be allowed to happen.

You can read about this in today's  EADT:

http:…

• 13 Jan 2012
  • Choose life; wear a poppy

I don’t know whether I can write about Remembrance Sunday. As a subject it is so full of meaning and so full of feeling that I wonder if I can do it justice. Yet here I am and here are my words; I only hope that they can do enough.

You see poppies everywhere at this time of year. On the tunic of a glittering Zoe Ball as she tells us, bouncing and beaming, of the winners and losers in this week’s Strictly Come Dancing…

• 11 Nov 2012
  • No longer scared of the snake in the grass

Grass snake image copyright Kevin Simmonds, www.wildlifeimagery.co.uk
    Snakes are up there with spiders and sharks in the ‘horror movie’ wildlife list. An unexpected encounter with a snake is guaranteed to make your heart beat raise a notch or two. Our primeval instincts kick in and for many of us our first thought is ‘danger!’
    Snakes well and truly get bad press; if they’re not portrayed as…
    • 6 Sep 2010
  • Geese Galore

Author: Martin Payne. This piece was originally published in Essex Life.

The temperatures may have dropped from summer highs but there is still plenty of wildlife to get out and enjoy, including the wildlife spectacle found every year along the Essex coast.  The brent goose arrives from its breeding grounds in northern Russia and Siberia to feed on the eelgrass along the coastline and more recently they have moved onto…

• 12 Oct 2017
  • A Volunteer’s View: A Deer Safari at Minsmere

Carol Miller, Community Fundraising Volunteer

In the early morning mist of mid-October, I set off for my pre-booked 90 minute Red Deer Safari. As I waited for the start of the safari outside the visitor centre, I watched various birds visiting the bird feeders including long tailed tits, great tits, and blue tits. A jay was flying around the trees nearby and a squirrel scurried along the path, stopped in front of me…

• 23 Oct 2012
  • We all need food, water and shelter

Blogger: Sarah Green, Project Coordinator - Natura People Partnership Project

We are delighted to welcome George East as Minsmere’s newest corporate member.  Based just 4 miles away in Leiston, George East import and distribute a wide range of houseware, cleaning and personal care and hair care products.  One of their key lines is the Tala cooking range, where you can buy all sorts of traditionally made products…

• 27 Jun 2013