• Fifteen is the new thirty!

Do you know what? I've completely forgotten what it's like to be fifteen all over again! This week, we've been joined by Ellen and Dylan who are on work experience from school. They have certainly made me feel old! But, they have both been lovely and we have hopefully given them a flavour of what it's like working for a conservation organisation. They are definitely our conservationists of the future!

• The legal status of corvids in the UK

Crows, jackdaws and rooks are protected under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 and the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. This makes it illegal to intentionally take, injure or kill them, or to take, damage or destroy an active nest or its contents. However, the law recognises that in some circumstances control may be necessary. The UK Government issues annually a general licence (for which it is not necessary…

• Sorry but I get a bit confused: Which wader is which?

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

Last June you may have remembered my Swift, Swallows & House martins - I am a bit clueless blog post, well just as think I have nailed some of my bird ID skills I recently went on my hols to Osea Island.

We went as a family with my brother and his gang and spent the time walking the island when the causeway (as seen on the Woman in Black movie) was covered by the tide…

• Giving Nature a Home Story: Rocking it at the Ten Bells

Blogger: Lex Gardner, RSPB Volunteer

My name is Lex and I recently managed to raise just over a hundred pounds for Operation Turtle Dove.

When I first set out, I wanted to think of a different and possibly challenging way to raise some funds. I had a little experience working in music and gigs so, naturally, I put two and two together. I quickly found I might have bitten off more than I could chew because I was used…

• Norwich tummies are feeling full for a good cause

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

Do you remember in January when I blogged about the great partnership the RSPB had with Dozen Artisan Bakery and Pulse Cafe Bar, two great independent eateries in Norwich? I bet you’ve been waiting with baited breath to see how we got on....

Well, today I went to see the lovely manager of Pulse, Helen, as she presented us with a great big cheque (literally…

• Birds of a feather flock together...and so do people apparently - by Laura Harpham, Public Affairs Officer

Today I’d like to tell you a couple of stories about crowds.

To set the scene for the first story, imagine you’re in the Castle Mall in Norwich on a busy Saturday before Christmas.
    You’re wandering through and you pass a shop, empty of merchandise but there are people inside; two artists painting gorillas. You do a double-take then stop and read the sign, which tells you about the Go Go Gorillas! trail in…

• Nine-year-old hero helps our garden birds

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising

William Farrugia is one of nature’s heroes. Not only is he a fundraiser and advocate for the RSPB, standing up and speaking in front of dozens of his peers, but he’s also only 9 years old!

A few weeks ago on his walk to school he saw a dead blackbird in the road. Being William’s favourite bird, it made him very sad and spurred him into action to help…

• RSPB Minsmere announced as the new home of Springwatch 2014!

We are so excited to be able to share with you the news that BBC Springwatch will be broadcasting from a brand-new home at our lovely RSPB Minsmere on the beautiful Suffolk coast this year!

The three-week long wildlife party, hosted by Chris Packham, Michaela Strachan and Martin Hughes-Games starts on Monday 26th May and stretches right through to Thursday 12th June.

With over 5,600 plant and animal species recorded…

• Give a Frog a Home and Witness Their Spectacular Lifecycle

Author: Sarah Osborn

At first glance, frogspawn floating in a pond can have a slightly alien appearance. But looking closer at the black dots suspended in clear gelatinous orbs, soon to emerge as wriggling tadpoles, I can’t help but smile at how amazing nature is.

Whilst most people are familiar with the lifecycle of a frog, watching it unfold right in front of your eyes is enthralling. There is something magical…

• Frampton Marsh transforms into winter wildlife wonderland

Author: Chris Andrews, RSPB Frampton Marsh

Picture Credit: Andy Hay

In the days of Alfred the Great, the coast of Lincolnshire was the landing ground for roving parties from the North. They came to these shores looking for easy pickings, or a way to escape the harsh conditions in Scandinavia. Well, it is still happening today, but instead of boat loads of bearded Vikings, thankfully we are just talking birds!

• Nestboxes make prime real estate for birds

The snow may have vanished as quickly as it appeared but the cold, dark days of winter have lingered on. This being said, do not become too accustomed to these seemingly bare days, because if you look a bit closer you might just find the tiny green buds flourishing on our trees and the overzealous shoots ready to blossom at any second. Then take a second to listen to the increasing trills of bird song and inhale a deep…

• Choose life; wear a poppy

I don’t know whether I can write about Remembrance Sunday. As a subject it is so full of meaning and so full of feeling that I wonder if I can do it justice. Yet here I am and here are my words; I only hope that they can do enough.

You see poppies everywhere at this time of year. On the tunic of a glittering Zoe Ball as she tells us, bouncing and beaming, of the winners and losers in this week’s Strictly Come Dancing…

• The nature business

Blogger: Kate Blincoe, Communications Manager

Look out of your window. The catkins are swaying in the spring breeze, the blue tit is hunting out caterpillars for its young family and an early bumblebee buzzes by. Nature is busy all around us.

What if pound signs were flashing over all these beautiful, natural events? If you look on these living things as paid workers for us then the catkins tree is capturing carbon…

• 10 ways to be a wild thing

Our Wild Things at Easter events are now in full swing and running across RSPB in the East reserves throughout the Easter holidays - find your nearest reserve running events here.  Whether you can make it to an RSPB reserve or not, RSPB volunteer Georgia Hebdige has pulled together the top ten ways to be a wild thing this spring.

Spring is here and come rain or shine, there is no better place to be than the outdoors! From mud…

• Where to let your wild thing roam

Whenever I stand on the sea wall at RSPB Wallasea Island, with the dust-muddied estuarine water lapping at the sea aster, looking at an egret silhouetted against clouds resting on the tide, mottling the sun, I feel wholly wild.

Inside all of us is a wild thing. It gnashes, it gnaws and it roars, like an encroaching tide, desperate to be sated, longing to be let out. The beast within that we dampen in our day-to-day…

• Top 5 wild things to find this autumn

Spooky spiders 

Head out into the garden first thing in the morning and witness these eight-legged creatures weave glistening dew-dropping webs.

Fabulous fungi 

Look out for mushrooms and toadstools in enchanted forests. If you’re very quiet you might see fairies resting there. Look, don’t touch! Use our fungi-finder bingo sheet to help you spot an amazing array of fungi.

Bursting berries 

Admire the…

• Register for the Big Garden Birdwatch 2018

It's time to once again fill up your feeders and register for the Big Garden Birdwatch 2018.

Last year, over 76,000 people in the East, and close to half-a-million people nationally, joined in with the world’s largest garden wildlife survey, counting more than eight million birds.

This year we are asking you to do the same again. Over just one hour, on the weekend of the 27 and 28, or Monday 29 January, we…

• Happy second 20th birthday Lakenheath Fen

Author: David White, RSPB Lakenheath Fen Nature Reserve

Last year, Lakenheath Fen celebrated its twentieth birthday. Back in 1995, the first spade entered what had been a carrot field, found on the border of Cambridgeshire, to begin the creation of a new wetland nature reserve.

This month, we are celebrating another birthday. Twenty years ago this month, the very first reed was planted. This single fluffy frond marked…

• Get wild with your family this summer!

Author: Ellen Robson

Stuck for things to do with your summer holidays? There is a huge range of family friendly activities for you to try as part of the RSPB’s Wild Challenge. Completing challenges will earn you awards, so see if you can go for gold! You can sign up for free here to have a look at the full list,  but below are just a few examples of the things you can do to help give nature a home, and have fun…

• Rebuild Snettisham Hide Crowdfunding Campaign - things you might find interesting

Why did the RSPB decide to use crowdfunding?

We decided to research alternative ways to fund projects; when we looked into crowdfunding, it seemed to tick all the right boxes for us. We know that Snettisham is an extremely special place for lots of people and rebuilding the hide was something many people told us that they, as individuals, would be willing to get behind and support.

As crowdfunding typically raises…

• Vegging out in front of the box

Blogger: Gena Correale Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

Sunday is my favourite day of the week – a real lounge day when I like nothing better than to get the Sunday papers and spend the day cooking, reading and watching TV. Last Sunday I spent the morning cooking up a storm in the kitchen with my new favourite thing – my organic veg box!

The previous week one of the papers had run a promotion so you…

• A Golden Opportunity

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

Have you ever had that dream where you’re running the 100 metres for your country at the Olympics? It’s all in slow motion, the crowd is going crazy as your feet take turns pounding the track, you can see the finish line in front of you getting ever closer and then... you wake up!

I know I have, and I probably will have this dream again as this…

• What's in a logo?

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Manager

You can call us biased if you like, but we’re totally smitten! I know it’s the tail-end of Spring and all sorts of cute, wonderful wildlife things are happening, but these little creatures have to be among the most adorable!

Not only are they the RSPB’s iconic logo, but avocets, for all kinds of reasons, are instantly recognisable. Whether it’s their absolutely…

• Eat food – save nature!

Blogger - Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

Here in the RSPB office we love our food. Cake is a regular fixture during the week and lunchtimes come with a melee of delicious smells emanating from the kitchen as people reheat their leftover dinners. There are a lot of fine bakers amongst the staff (proven when we had a cake sale recently and at least 10 people brought in homemade goodies) and we spend…