Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Mealworms

If anybodys intrested, Dried mealworms can be quiet expensive where ever you buy them, But, if you have a Wilkinsons store near to where you live they are currently selling 100g tubs for £1.99.

This is the cheapest by far that I have come across so stocked up with a few tubs today.

• Hi Big Robbo, been away at weekend and just noticed your post. I usually buy mealworms at Wilko's for nearer £3 so these are bargain. Will be going to get some- thanks for that . CFAH

• Nevr buy them anywhere else Robbo. Good quality too. I stock up now for the breeding season when they fly out of the mealworm feeder at pace.

• Hi all

I know that Sparrow buys hers on eBay and they do work out cheaper if you can afford to buy a larger size.

1KG costs £14.79. (This equates to £1.48 per 100grams)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-kilogram-dried-mealworms-wild-bird-reptile-food-/170592026140?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Birds&hash=item27b813be1c

You can buy different sized packs too.

• Hi,

I do buy my dried mealworms from eBay, but you can also buy them drect from the actual supplier, Natures Grub at :

http://shop.naturesgrub.co.uk/epages/es114020.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es114020_shop/Categories/Dried_Mealworms

I buy 2K bags for £24.50 including P&P.

They are top quality, and the above website explains the composition and analytical constituents, so you can see how much protein etc. they contain. I have no idea what they taste like, but the birds love them!

Delivery is fast, and packaging is secure.

• Similar price at Poundstretcher: £7.99 for 400gm tubs.

They also sell this rather excellent mealworm feeder for just £4.99.

You can adjust the height of the plastic top to keep out the bigger bird scoffing the lot (though gymnastic starlings can still hang on the edge and feed even at a low level like this). And it even comes supplied with a mini allen key to tighten up one screw. One of the best value for money feeders I've seen - so many others seem to be over-priced and/or crap quality.This is a nice solid design.

And of course you can put what you like in it - seeds, nuts, scraps whatever.

• Syntarsus said:

Similar price at Poundstretcher: £7.99 for 400gm tubs.

They also sell this rather excellent mealworm feeder for just £4.99.

You can adjust the height of the plastic top to keep out the bigger bird scoffing the lot (though gymnastic starlings can still hang on the edge and feed even at a low level like this). And it even comes supplied with a mini allen key to tighten up one screw. One of the best value for money feeders I've seen - so many others seem to be over-priced and/or crap quality.This is a nice solid design.

And of course you can put what you like in it - seeds, nuts, scraps whatever.

I'm so glad you posted this ! We have one of these which I haven't used for a while, found it lurking in the greenhouse & thought I'd give it a clean ready for the BGBW. However, I just could not unscrew the big black screw thing that you have to undo to move the plastic cover. I tried for about half an hour & came to the conclusion that it wasn't meant to unscrew & I was just imagining it did, but was still a bit puzzled as the cover is very low over the tray. Now I see that your cover is just as low and you SHOULD be able to unscrew it. Will have to get the WD40 out and try again ! Thanks for this timely post.

• Glad you found that useful Bella. The black screw is plastic on plastic so it can't have rusted together. If WD 40 doesn't work maybe just some washing up liquid? Or perhaps the plastic expands when warm and you need to unscrew while it's cold?

Anyway just refilled mine today. Thank goodness the low covering has kept the blackbirds out. Nevertheless the starlings really seem to have got stuck in so it's a good job there are all these cheap mealworm deals around. I'll need some more very soon.

• Hi Sparrow

If you are buying on eBay you are using wrong supplier. Petspadirect supply bags in all sizes from 1k up, I buy 5 kilo @ £23.99 Inc carriage that's  £4.80 per kilo. Just received my 5th delivery from them and they are bigger and better than any I ever bought in a shop.

Corky