Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Moorhen!

A moorhen has visited our suburban (Romford, East London / Essex) garden, and is happily pecking away beneath the bird feeder along with the woodpigeons – just a few yards from the house. I've never seen a moorhen in the garden before. 

• Well that is news to me to however I did have a little look on RSPB info and its not unusual - copied the info for you.

And thank you for sharing as its something I did not know!

Where and when to see them
    You can see moorhens around any pond, lake, stream or river, or even ditches in farmland. Moorhens can live in cities as well as the countryside. In the UK they breed in in lowland areas, especially in central and eastern England. They're scarce in northern Scotland and the uplands of Wales and northern England. UK breeding birds are residents and seldom travel far.
  • Thanks for your reply.
    The odd thing is that there is no water in our garden (sad to say) other than a small bird bath - nor in the surrounding gardens.
    The moorhen stayed in our garden pretty much all day - pecking around the lawn, and borders, and beneath the bird-feeder - and even flapping up onto the top of the shrubs and the shed.
    It was almost as if it was a bit confused and thought it was one of the wood pigeons!
    We were relieved not to see it the next day - and especially not to see any evidence that it might have been caught by the resident fox!
  • I am glad it evaded the fox and maybe it just fancied a change of scenery?!