Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

White Egrit

Was so suprised when I saw a full white Egrit wading in my local beck in Village. Wished had stopped car and took photo, probably not see again, last time saw one was over 4 years ago a little further from village.

• dgcdalton said:

Was so suprised when I saw a full white Egrit wading in my local beck in Village. Wished had stopped car and took photo, probably not see again, last time saw one was over 4 years ago a little further from village.

Egrets are settling across the UK with relative ease. There are three species, little egret (black legs and black beak), great white egret (almost twice the size and with a yellow beak) and creeping in as a very recent visitor, the cattle egret (also with a yellow, but shorter beak). My guess it won't be too long before they become a little more commonplace where you are.

They are very common down in the south of England, and pretty common around the Midlands and Wales, so a nice tick for your list.

I'm guessing with you using the term Beck you're Northern England.