Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Moorhen in my garden

I have noticed a moorhen pecking around in my garden for the past couple of weeks. I have a very small pond in the front garden but this is in the back garden.There is also a larger pond in a park about half a mile away,so I think it has got lost. Do I let it make its on way back or do I try and catch it to take it back. It's destroying my grass. Thanks

• It is normal for moorhens to crop up away from water, or near tiny areas of water. You mentioned on one of your posts about bird feeders. The two options are to either stop feeding the birds, incl the moorhen, so it moves off. Or, move the bird feeders away from the lawn to an area you don't mind the moorhen foraging. Trying to catch the moorhen is a big no-no.
  • What was the decision/outcome of this?

• In reply to Robbo:

Thank you. I haven't seen it for a couple of days so hopefully it has moved on and gone back to the pond. It may have been caught by a fox. I have a ground feeder for the birds under a cage which it can't get through ,but there is a bit of spillage from the hanging feeder,so I guess it was looking there for food. And digging up the grass maybe looking for grubs or worms ,if they eat them. I think live and let live . I will see what happens.