Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Baby robins

Hi I live in semi-rural Derbyshire UK. A pair of robins have made a nest in a nest box in my garden. The mum(?) has been sitting for a while being brought food by the dad then 3 days ago they were both back and forth with grubs and flies so I guessed the babies had hatched. Then after that really cold night on Sunday- hard frost in the morning- yesterday they’ve been around in the garden but have stopped visiting the nest. I guess the babies were too small to survive the cold which is really upsetting. My question is what should I do now? Do I empty the nest box? Will they build again if I do?
Thanks in advance, Emma

• In my opinion I would leave the nest alone, do not interfere. The parents may dispose of the babies? I am unsure if they dispose of them would they use the same nest again? Robins will have two breeds a year (3 have been known and 4 sometimes) according to RSPB stats. Hopefully you will see babies at a later stage.