Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Some Redwings Dropped By...

Today I spent a good five hours working in the garden. It has been rather mild here in Mitcham, so I took the opportunity to rearrange the patio. When I had almost finished, I heard an unfamiliar call coming from the direction of the holly tree. There were dozens of Spadgers in there and something slightly larger. It was tucked away on the far side of the tree but as it moved around, I saw a small flash of red. When I returned with my camera, it had disappeared, so I started taking photos of the Spadgers. As I was doing that a group of about a dozen Redwings circled the garden. Some landed in the holly tree and others saw me and flew away. The ones that landed were rather skittish, but I managed to get a few reasonable pics before they started gorging on the berries on the far side of the tree. Blue skies always help.

• Good to catch a sighting MC, always the same, either gone or leave when you get ready to take a picture or they have moved and you can't get a decent photo. Nice against the blue sky. They are nice looking birds, have not seen any here this back end or yet. The sparrows are alway a delight when they chatter away in groups to each other.

• Unknown said:
    It has been rather mild here in Mitcham

It was very sunny here in Berkshire but barely above 0 C so not not my idea of mild but perhaps your patio is more sheltered. 

A great bonus to capture these beautiful birds after your 5 hours of work. The blue sky really sets them off. 

Looks like we could have freezing fog tonight. Brrrrr ...

• Lovely visitors and extra lovely against the blue sky MC....am not sure I will have any garden left by the time all the ice finally melts...been a mild -9° here last night in central scotland lol been frozen for well over a week now...my poor garden! Birds still being fed though lol
  • Clear skies here tonight, so every chance of frost or at the very least frozen bird baths. Even the ones in the aviary froze two nights ago. I've put netting over the strawberry plants (one of which has started to fruit!). Leaves are dropping off the trees even as the new ones come through. Daffs are several inches above ground already.
  • Lovely to see the good weather MC, mind you it has been sunny here today too, fabulous pics of both the spadgers and the Redwing, and well done of doing work in the garden, when are you down this way?!!!!
  • Lovely to see the Redwings and glad you managed to capture them on camera, they are such beautiful members of the thrush family; the calls they make are a good way of knowing they are around and also that of the Fieldfare. Hope you see more passing through before the end of April.

• Lovely clear photos MC, and nice to see the redwings.

Also good to see you posting, don't think I've seen a post from you for a while, so good to know you're well.

• Today I spent zero hours working in the garden. That's not strictly true, I did have to break the ice in all the water dishes, including the ones in the aviary. I also put out extra mealies for the Spadgers and Starlings. The Pigeon Mafia got extra sunflower hearts. While I was emptying the water from the upturned dustbin lid at the far end of the trellised area, some of it must have landed on a mouse. About 5 minutes after I had refilled the lid I spotted a mouse on the ground. It was soaked through and completely motionless. I picked it up and the body was still soft, so it hadn't been caught in the frost. I took it indoors and placed it in a small plastic container. I then half filled the kitchen sink with warm water and placed the container in the water. As the container warmed up, so did the mouse. I wrapped it in a small and soft flannel and rubbed it very gently. Eventually it began to sit up properly and became more alert. I then put it in a large fatball bucket (with a lid) and placed shredded kitchen towel in there as well as seed and greens. I put the fatball bucket in the warm water and left the mouse for about an hour. By this time the muse was scurrying around and back to normal (-ish). I released it back in the garden near to the spot where I found it.

Several hours later I spotted the Redwings in the holly tree. This time there were many more than yesterday. I took some photos from the upstairs window.

Soaking wet and seemingly lifeless little mouse

Starting to revive

Almost ready for release

House Sparrow for size comparison

• What a wonderful story of mouse rescue ! poor bedraggled creature when you found it but happily got a new lease of life thanks to you and a reward of Redwings (lovely photos) which you thoroughly deserved after all your life saving efforts !!
  • Thanks Hazel. There are some short video clips on my Twitter feed