Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Simply Spiders

There's a Moth thread and one for Insects, so I thought maybe one for our Arachnid friends. If there's already a live thread out there, my apologies...

I have plenty of these spiders in the garden, mainly in the hedges. Cross Spider I believe. It wasn't too happy with the camera!

• When I eventually decide a spider needs to be sorted out, I also use a glass and piece of paper to evict it. Only once did I have to persuade one to bend its legs before putting the glass over it!!! Not in the UK I hasten to add.

Anyway, here's one in natural habitat.

I think it's looking after the Nursery Web but I didn't get a look at its back to help poitively ID it

• With that long body it looks like a Tetragnatha extensa but there may be a close relative, there is over here. Often found near water.

• That's a large spider Nigel, those legs are looking pretty sturdy.

Hazel I get the tetra bit but what does the rest mean? abdomen maybe?

• It's actually not that big, Gaynor, no need to panic yet!

I think it's more likely a Nursery Web spider although Tetragnatha extensa (Long-jawed Orb Weaver) was my second possibility. However, in the end, I felt the body just didn't look quite right for that and it was on a tent of webs, like a spiderling nursery. Although it's not the best evidence, it's pose was also quite different. I still may be wrong, mind you :)

• Thanks Nigel, long-jawed orb weaver, interesting, the things you learn on this page:-)  

• Unknown said:
    I think it's more likely a Nursery Web spider although Tetragnatha extensa (Long-jawed Orb Weaver) was my second possibility. However, in the end, I felt the body just didn't look quite right for that and it was on a tent of webs, like a spiderling nursery. Although it's not the best evidence, it's pose was also quite different. I still may be wrong, mind you :)

I think you're right, the body may not have been that long! 

• Unknown said:
    Only once did I have to persuade one to bend its legs before putting the glass over it!!! Not in the UK I hasten to add.

Lol Nigel,    I had same problem when I encountered a Huntsman spider on my first week in Australia when it was climbing up the bedroom wall  !!    We were in a motel/apartment at the time and only had mop and bucket to hand but it worked perfectly so I could put it back in the garden  lol       Was just a harmless (would only bite to defend itself  lol )   member of the Sparassidae family.     At the time if was a pretty daunting sight because of the sheer size of this insect  !  

post edit:    LOL  I just read this article   !!

• You were brave putting out that size spider during your first week over in Australia Hazy, think I might have called in the reserves!!

Very funny  article, I like the way the passengers are sitting around as if nothing is bothering them, and then you see the empty seats:-)

• My latest Spider ... reasonably manageable!

Inside a one inch square for perspective

White crab spider (Misumena vatia) ........ wasn't a bit scared, even though I did find it in my bed!! Lol

• Gosh what a big brave girl you are! LOL