Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Sharing My Wildlife Pond Projects to give others Inspiration

Hi all,

I thought I'd share my Wildlife Pond Projects here to hopefully give others some inspiration.

I first added a small Wildlife Pond in my back garden back in May 2012 after a visit to the Library with my two daughters. Whilst there I picked up a a childrens book about wildlife and on one of the pages was an article about making a small wildlife pond using a tub to attract insects and frogs etc.

Anyway we went back and set about digging a hole in the ground for our tub, filled it with water and added some stones around the edge to make it more natural looking.

The finished article looked like this:

However it wasn't long before I wanted something a little larger and the following month I went out and bought a pre-formed pond and dug another hole next to the little wildlife pond which by now had become known as "Wildlife Pond Project 1".

Again, after filling it with water I added stones around the edge to make it more natural looking.

The ponds have made great additions to the garden and I've had many visitors to them both including birds, insects, frogs, toads and newts.

If you're thinking of adding a water feature to your garden, it doesn't have to be anything grand and I hope this post will inspire you to get digging.

You can read more about my Wildlife Pond Projects on my blog at http://my-wildlife-pond-project.blogspot.co.uk but if you have any questions or want more information then post here and I'll be more than happy to reply.

Thanks for reading

Ian

• Very nice, Ian. Your ponds are lovely, and as you say, a water feature doesn't have to be a huge grand affair to make a difference to the wildlife in your garden. I'm hoping for some amphibians to visit mine in the next few months. :-)

Paul