Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Sparrows entering blue tit nest box and killing chicks

We have had blue tits in one of our nesting boxes and the parents have busily been feeding them. Today we found a pair of sparrows entering the box and have pecked the young and killed them and then proceeded to throw them out of the box. Blue tits have been back but now disappeared.We looked in the box to find the dead pecked chicks some were quite big.Now the sparrows have taken up residence in the box to nest ? don't know. Has anyone heard or encountered this behaviour before.We would love to find out something not a  a very nice day today.

• Oh this is so sad. I have Blue Tits nesting, I must keep looking at the nest now.

• I agree with Alan best to put a metal hole protector on. They are very cheap from the RSPB shop and stop larger birds pecking around the hole to enlarge it and gain access. We did it after the woodpecker started pecking the hole and it has been very sucessful

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• JudiM said:
    They are very cheap from the RSPB shop and stop larger birds pecking around the hole to enlarge it and gain access

Thanks for the info I will order a metal plate now before its too late :-)

Take care

Mitch

• Unknown said:

you could fit a metal plate over the hole reducing it so sparrows cannot get in

Alan

Thanks Alan I will order a metal plate now and hope to have the baby Blue Tits soon :-)

Take care

Mitch

• I have sparrows harassing a next box that generally houses bluetits. I’ve watched this bird box for a few years now and never seen this behaviour. There is presently a bluetit in the box and a few sparrows are taking turns popping there head at the entrance in an intimidating way. Any views on this please let me know
  • Birdbox Billy said:
    Any views on this please let me know

You may find Rob's 2019 thread on House Martins interesting and the house sparrows behaviour;    not just Blue tits that the House Sparrows can have an impact on.      A few years ago House Sparrows were in greater decline since the 1970's and huge numbers in the 1950's  so research was done and although numbers have picked up since numbers are still said to be down when compared to 50 years ago.     Having said this, birds like the migratory House Martins who breed here during spring/summer (whose numbers are now dropping)  appear to need all the help they can get to be able to raise their broods successfully if House Sparrows are in the same location.     

Regards, Hazel