Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Great Tit nest possibly abandoned...?

We had some Great Tits build a nest in our nestbox recently, however we haven’t seen any activity for over a week now. We’ve had a look inside and there’s only a nest, no birds or eggs. Is it possible that they just abandoned it for no reason?
Also, I don’t know if this would’ve affected it either but we had some work done on our fence opposite the nestbox and was wondering if this could’ve disturbed them? About 3/4 metres away.
  • Not good practice, opening a nestbox in April. Could have been an incubating adult inside.

Yes, work could have caused abandonment. Birds are less attached to nest sites when there are not yet eggs or young. If the nestbox had been opened prior to the referred to occasion, that could have caused abandonment. Another couple of possibilities is the cold snap delaying laying, and an adult being predated. .
  • In reply to Robbo:

When I say look inside I mean I stood on a chair and looked through the hole because it doesn’t open unless you unscrew the front (it can be used as a Robin nest too) and we weren’t about to do that. We haven’t touched the nestbox at all. But from what it seems there’s nothing but nest in it.

Thanks for your response.