Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Blue tit arrival??

Hi, we built a nest box following instructions on here during the first lockdown and are very excited to have a blue tit visiting every night. Will there be a nest in there already? Or is he/she checking it out? 

• Not sure but congratulations, I have two nest boxes in my garden but not seen anything yet but I shall remain positive in the belief that what will be will be.if not this year maybe next,
  • Hello Emm, very exciting for you. The Tits will be checking out where they want to build their nests, you will see them go in and out,bthey may peck around the entrance and on a day that is not to windy, if you listen (not too near) you may hear them making a clattering noise from inside, this is them flapping their wings and sussing out the box. Hopefully they will pick your one, build their nest and have young ones. I have not noticed any at ours yet, but today once I filled the feeders I filled two that are for fat balls, one with moss from the garden and the other with the cats fur, that we keep from when she gets groomed, anything to help them have a cosy nest.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to i love robins:

We built it last March and has been up since, we’ve seen a bird flying in at around the same time every night for the last three weeks
  • In reply to Catlady:

Ahh that’s good to know I’ll get brushing the dog the children are so excited, we watch out every night to see it fly in.
  • I forgot to add that from Autumn time onwards, birds will pick next boxes to roost in overnight, especially on cold, wet, windy nights, so there is a good chance that now they are using it to roost in, they may well nest in it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to Catlady:

Ahh that’s good to know. My daughter spotted it first a few weeks ago, I guess it ties in with the evenings getting lighter, we probably didn’t notice before as it would have been dark and blinds down. It usually comes about 5.20, sits in a tree and then darts in. Funnily enough I’ve never seen a blue tit in our garden before.