Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

I didn't think this through

This year I decided to reduce the amount of mowing on our main lawn by allowing a large part of it grow wild and just cut paths through it - there have been some advantages, it has produced an interesting selection of butterflies and moths, crickets and grasshopper, the birds, hedgehogs and bats have enjoyed the bounty.  What I forgot is that I would have to mow it:(  3 days later I am still at it.  I am really thinking as offering the job as an alternative to a gym membership.  I've walked miles, lifted weights wrestling the mower and next will have to rake the cuttings up.  Change of plan for next year I think.

The hay field. ..Oops I meant 'lawn'

2/3rds of the management team guarding the moving weight training machine.  The larger of the team is pleased that he can now find his toys

my hands hurt at the thought of raking this lot up

Caroline (exhausted) of Jersey

• Thanks for the offer Viv but it's nearly done.  I will remember for next time:)

Yes, Ted is a Leonberger, I have his mum as well - she was the missing 1/3rd and was off resting in the house after an all in wrestling match with her son.

Caroline in Jersey

• Hi Caroline,

I know how you feel I also have a large patch to mo very soon!!....in the past I've used a strimmer which is much better I have found....

Love your comment about dogs and poo.....My hound also loves to roll in the lovely presents that our local foxes have left in our garden!!!...

And just for you here's the proof.....One happy (and stinky) hound complete with 'muck' covered face and collar!!!.....

As you can imagine it was a hose off and shampoo and set for him minutes after this picture.....he wasn't very impressed!!

• Well done Caroline for allowing you patch to grow. I would love to do this, but just don't have the space (or a back that would be up to your current task) the dogs are lovely.

Horses would be no good for grazing it as they are such choosy eaters, but that's also what makes cows, sheep and goats impractical as they aren't, lol

Looks like you're nearly there now. A well earned glass of

Something to celebrate:)

Higgy - what a lovely, if slightly whiffy pooch

• higgy50 said:

And just for you here's the proof.....One happy (and stinky) hound complete with 'muck' covered face and collar!!!.....

As you can imagine it was a hose off and shampoo and set for him minutes after this picture.....he wasn't very impressed!!

That is a face saying "What do you mean, I've got to wash it off!  But I just spend hours applying it"  I do not miss fox poo, the worst I have to deal with is dead fish.

• Oh dogs are so 'lovely' aren't they!!??....the other day I took him out and he rolled in fox/deer poo and as if to prove a point he looked straight at me and then ran over to a massive cow pat and rolled in that also (twice!!!).....

I don't think the fish would last long enough to get rolled in.....he'd most certainly eat it!!!...