Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

I didn't think this through

This year I decided to reduce the amount of mowing on our main lawn by allowing a large part of it grow wild and just cut paths through it - there have been some advantages, it has produced an interesting selection of butterflies and moths, crickets and grasshopper, the birds, hedgehogs and bats have enjoyed the bounty.  What I forgot is that I would have to mow it:(  3 days later I am still at it.  I am really thinking as offering the job as an alternative to a gym membership.  I've walked miles, lifted weights wrestling the mower and next will have to rake the cuttings up.  Change of plan for next year I think.

The hay field. ..Oops I meant 'lawn'

2/3rds of the management team guarding the moving weight training machine.  The larger of the team is pleased that he can now find his toys

my hands hurt at the thought of raking this lot up

Caroline (exhausted) of Jersey

• Hi Caroline

Thats a big old lawn you have there and I'm sure the wildlife enjoyed your uncut grass, I have left a couple of areas in the garden uncut and just left whatever wants to grow there do so but my garden is no where as big as yours but it all helps wildlife im sure. Love your fellow gardening team :o)

Shane

• Oh Caroline,!!! poor you, i don't envy you that job at all,

would it have been easier with a strimmer??

What are you going to do with all the "hay" you are getting off it,

Love your dogs, they are gorgeous,

Val

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 25/09/2011 21:00 in reply to sugar

Sheep, thats the answer.

• Just love the dogs Caroline and I think you deserve one of those ride on mowers,with a garden that size, talk sweetly to OH I think or better still get him to cut it, men are so much better at cutting lawns don't you think LOL 

• Andrew, the wolves would love the idea of sheep - all that poo to roll in, even better than goose.  I did think about putting one of my friends horses on it.  

Val, I am seriously thinking of putting the metal blade on the strimmer for the last part - there is a very large grass pile being built in the orchard that will be left for a long time, the slowworms will enjoy it - there is just too much for the compost bins.

Judi, I have got one but the slope of the lawn makes it a bit hairy and it tends to bottom out in the mole runs, unfortunately DH loves the garden but hates the boring bits so leaves it to me.  Good thing I like gardening

• Combine harvester needed there or maybe goats.

I always said if I had the land I'd have goats, luv em

ray

• Ray, my friend, you have a hopelessly romantic view of goats!! Yes, they might eat the grass but only after they'd finished all of your cherished plants, flowers, veg, fruit etc. etc. :-))

I know! I am trying to creat a garden of sorts at the bird sanctuary but the **** goats keep managing to get in. :-((

I keep telling them that I might give up vegetarianism and develop a passion for goat stew.

Seriously though Caroline, Sheep or goats - uh uh! Not if you value your garden or can fence off the lawn while you have the little charmers in to eat the grass.

Does anyone near you have a scythe? Very old fashioned I know but just the job to get the rough off first. The other thought is an implement sold for slashing down braken. Don't know it's name but is a bit like a sharpened hockey stick! It's very effective, again at taking off the high growth.

Jenni

PS I do like goats but not in my garden! LOL

• I can't do goats I am allergic to their hair.  I have seen a garden designed by sheep and the idea of me and a scythe is more than the A&E department can cope with.  I will keep plodding away, it's good for the waist line:)

• Goodness gracious Caroline, what a big lawn you've got.

If you'd have given me a bell ,you could have borrowed my O H (for free) for a couple of days.I could do with a break from him.........only joking.

What breed is the big fella, is he a Leonberger?

Viv.