Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Nature friendly tree for privacy?

Hi all, I had to cut down a beautiful ceanothus in one of the corners of my garden because it had come to the end of its life. Unfortunately it has now left a big ol' open space that not only looks odd but also exposes the houses behind (not so much of an issue in winter). Can anyone suggest anything to put there in its place? It's a smallish garden so nothing too big. I already have buddleia, another ceanothus, flowering currant, beech, apple etc. It's partial shade too. Any help much appreciated Relaxed Deciduous tree 

• What about Viburnum tinus. It flowers from mid winter to early spring for nectar. It has purple berries although I don't know whether birds like them. Plus, it's evergreen for all year cover. Eve Price is supposed to be a good variety and has RHS Award of Garden Merit

• Does it need to be a tree? We've got trellis up, with winter jasmine and honeysuckle. Only planted this spring but already thick enough to provide screening, and the jasmine is in flower now. The sparrows love noodling through it SmileySmiley

• A ceanothus is not really a tree.

Spindle bush? Not really a tree. Euonymus europaeus. Given the height and spread of some ceanothus, it may plug a gap.
  • The world is your oyster, we have a sycamore at the bottom of the garden, a cherry tree around 2/3 down the garden plus two apple trees centre. All trees seem to attract the birds, while we have a privet hedge down one side of the garden which the birds love, for cover before darting out on to the feeders.

Also, at the bottom of the garden around three years back the neighbour at the back chopped down their laurel, so I've had planted a red robin. That's now around 1.8mtrs tall, though not many birds frequent it, but the leaves do turn a lovely shade of red in the sun.

You will probably have seen something similar in some retail park car parks.

• Standard Holly, Rowan or Hawthorn can be good and wildlife friendly. Pick simple flower variety as multi petals are not good for pollinators. With the exception of the holly they should be available as bare root plants at this time of year.
  • How about a Hydrangea for volume to fill the gap… or a Camellia… a pyracantha will attract berry loving birds in winter.. and provide you a little extra security!.. Laburnum is always worth a thought as it looks and smells so beautiful in spring!…