Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Blue Tits babies

I have  had amazing experience for the last 3 months  watching Blue Tit mummy and daddy adopting the nest I put in my garden two years ago. They have been busy gathering straws and fluff to make the nest and feeding their young ones. Yesterday was the first time the babies peeped out and flew away one by one. There were three. Mummy had gone to get some food when she came back she looked in the nest and no babies. She sat for second thinking and looked inside the nest again, this time she realised that her babies had flown away. It was amazing watching all this. Will the babies unite with their parents? Have they got a nest some where else, why didnt they carry on staying in the nest that they made in our house? Shall i empty the nest out for other birds or will they come back. I found one dead chick in my garden this morning, very sad. How old are they normally when they make their first flight? How shall I post the videos? 

• Hello Parminder. It is lovely to watch the birds nest and rear their young, the gardens are busy at the moment with bird song from parents and babies. I have added a link to help answer some of your questions. It is agains the law to interfere with a nest from when the first piece of material is taken in, so do not clean out the nest just now. The time to do this is in the back end when it is legally allowed to clean out and prepare the boxes for next year. Birds will often use boxes to roost in over the Autumn and winter, shelter from the cold, wind and rain.

As to posting the videos, someone with more knowledge than me will have to advice (photos I can cope with)! I believe you have to upload to YouTube first (as you can only post a certain size) then attach the video or photo by going into use rich formatting, opposite the reply box, then hit the little TV box and pick what you want to attach, from wherever you have it saved, it should come up in the box, you can add text if you wish. This might be a lot of rubbish, but someone will correct me and help you.

I look forward to seeing your video.

www.peckamix.co.uk/.../blue-tit
  • Upload your footage to Youtube to get the URL to post in media box in rich formatting!
  • Thanks for your reply . I am not very good with loading pictures or video's. I will see if my one of my kids will help me to put them on YouTube.
  • Thanks for the info link. Very interesting.
  • If you manage to get footage on Youtube but struggle with posting on here then just copy the URL & post in a reply box!