Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Best Shrubs for blackbirds and thrushes

Could anyone please advise on best varieties/berry colour of cotoneaster and pyracantha to help feed blackbirds and thrushes in my garden, or any other shrubs that your blackbirds and thrushes like to feed on.  They tend to lose out to our marauding magpies and woodpigeons (and occassional rat!) if I put ground food out for them.

The most successful so far for us are yew berries and ivy. Lots of hawthorn in the garden but havent noticed and particular bird activity on them.

Many thanks

• I have a RSPB open bird table. I have a thrush.and several blackbirds come every day for dry porridge oats and wet soggy brown seeded bread they prefer.As well as quality seeds cheese cake fruit.They put wet soggy piece bread in beak and then dot to dot on porridge so collecting a lot and fly off if other birds around.I also have a couple concrete water bath amongst leafy ground shrubs. The thrush is new and I want to keep her.Sometimes she hangs out all day in the shade if this hot sun.I thought she was another female.blackbird at first.I call her ester petal.
  • I have a RSPB open bird table. I have a thrush.and several blackbirds come every day for dry porridge oats and wet soggy brown seeded bread they prefer.As well as quality seeds cheese cake fruit.They put wet soggy piece bread in beak and then dot to dot on porridge so collecting a lot and fly off if other birds around.I also have a couple concrete water bath amongst leafy ground shrubs. The thrush is new and I want to keep her.Sometimes she hangs out all day in the shade if this hot sun.I thought she was another female.blackbird at first.I call her ester petal.