Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Best Shrubs for blackbirds and thrushes

• I have a RSPB open bird table. I have a thrush.and several blackbirds come every day for dry porridge oats and wet soggy brown seeded bread they prefer.As well as quality seeds cheese cake fruit.They put wet soggy piece bread in beak and then dot to dot on porridge so collecting a lot and fly off if other birds around.I also have a couple concrete water bath amongst leafy ground shrubs. The thrush is new and I want to keep her.Sometimes she hangs out all day in the shade if this hot sun.I thought she was another female.blackbird at first.I call her ester petal.
  • I have a RSPB open bird table. I have a thrush.and several blackbirds come every day for dry porridge oats and wet soggy brown seeded bread they prefer.As well as quality seeds cheese cake fruit.They put wet soggy piece bread in beak and then dot to dot on porridge so collecting a lot and fly off if other birds around.I also have a couple concrete water bath amongst leafy ground shrubs. The thrush is new and I want to keep her.Sometimes she hangs out all day in the shade if this hot sun.I thought she was another female.blackbird at first.I call her ester petal.
  • In reply to Ester petal:

Ester petal said:
    Blackbirds come every day for dry porridge oats and wet soggy brown seeded bread they prefer.They put wet soggy piece bread in beak and then dot to dot on porridge so collecting a lot and fly off if other birds around.

What you are describing there is adults bulk collecting bread to then feed young with. Parent blackbirds will have been struggling to gather suitable food to give to their young.