Oil prospecting at Newport Wetlands!!!

I've read in today's 'Argus', that Sonorex intend to prospect for oil 200 metres from Newport Wetlands!! :((

• Cath, This always a difficult one without knowing exactly what they are doing and how they are going to do it.   The RSPB Reserve at Arne sits within a few hundred metres of what I believe is the largest oil field in the UK and you wouldn't know there was anything there.

• thanks for flagging this, we (RSPB Cymru) are aware of the proposal. Some possible adverse impacts which may manifest themselves on the wildlife value of the area consist of the risk to water quality in the nearby Gwent Levels Site of Special Scientific Interest. This is notified for the wildlife interest of its reens (drainage channels), and therefore the developer will need to address this in his studies of the area. The developer will also need to consult the Countryside Council for Wales, and the Environment Agency Wales (the Welsh Government's statutory environmental advisers) in respect of the project, which I’m sure they are aware of. hope this puts your mind at rest for the time being. Dana

• Thanks for the feedback. Good to know people are aware of this. Cath