The Gronant litter pick

Hi Folks,

on Saturday May the 14th, some lovers of Wales and the Welsh countryside will be doing a litter pick on The Gronant, west of Talacre, Flintshire. The event has been organised by Judith Wright (judith.wright@keepwalestidy.org ) of Keep Wales Tidy and it will start at 10.00 am. The team will gather at the entrance to the Presthaven Sands Holiday Park.

The local ranger, Mandy Cartwright, will also be present and anyone seeking more information may phone Mandy on 07917317804 during normal office hours.

• Hi Sandpiper!

Good luck with your event - I am on an RSPB stand at the EcoBro Fair at Penrhyndeudraeth or I would have come along.

Are you doing anything to keep the Kids interested? Sometime ago we did a "pick" along a local beach and we got the kids to make a collage picture with some of the stuff they had gathered. I drew out a large picture of the headland at one end of the beach on an old piece of plywood and the kids could stick items of the appropriate colour onto the board - bit like "painting by numbers". A local company asked for the finished picture to put it up in the entrance to their building!!

Have a great day!

Jenni

• Hi Jenni,

thank you for your quick response to my post. The local ranger would be the best person to outline what is being organised to keep any youngters interested in the event. This will be my first litter pick on The Gronant. I have been on a number of litter picks at the Poin of Ayr. It never fails to amaze me; the ammount of trash that we collect. Oh......and the small number of people that turn up to help.

An attempt was made to form a group of interested people to maybe work out ways to combat the litter problems on the estuary; starting with Talacre. Flyers were printed and permission to meet at the Smugglers Cafe on Station Road Talacre was obtained. If you would supply me with an address ( not your own! ) I will post you a couple of the flyers and details of any progress will be posted here. The group was to call it self   " Friends of the Coast  "

I may even be able to post the flyers here. As a photograph; that is :- ) I will give it a try but don't know if it will work!

Chris :-)

• Hi Chris,

You can email any stuff you want distributed or displayed to info@northwalesbirdtrust.co.uk If you mark it FAO Jenni it will be forwarded to me!

Good luck this weekend!

Jenni

• Oops,

I didn't make it to this litter pick. Came down with a nasty bug and couldn't get there. I understand that about 11 people turned up and they filled a lot of bin bags with trash from the dunes and the beach. Hopefull a lot less snags now lying around waiting to snare birds and other wildlife.

Jenni,

I was having problems emailing some of the flyers that have been produced to try and get people interested in doing something about the dangers of rubbish to wildlife; so I posted a couple to you at The North Wales Bird Trust and marked the envelope "fao jenni" Did the material get through to you?

Chris

• Hi Chris

Yes I got them and will let everyone I know who is able to get along to Talacre see them. Will also pin one up on our notice board. Thanks. Hope you've got over your bug!

Take care

Jenni

• Hi Jenni,

I am Mandy Cartwright, Coastal Ranger based at Presthaven Sands Holiday Park.  That sounds like a fab idea!!!  Do you have any pictures of it?  I am shocked by the amount of marine litter washed up on the strandline.  This is something I feel very strongly about and want to highlight as much as possible.  That could be something to get into the press - local children cleaning the beach and making a strandline art project out of it!!!

Mandy