Window watching

Hi everyone

This morning looking out of my front window with cup of coffee in hand - in the middle of my clematis arch - hanging almost upside down on a fat ball pecking away was a great spotted woodpecker - fantastic. She was there for a good five minutes enabling slow me to identify it as female.

Cherry

• Lucky you. I don't often see them in my garden and when I do I run out with the camera.Aren't  they beautiful? 

• I am lucky too I have kites flying right past the window most days but the down side is that I spend more time watching them when I shoud be working :)

• Hi

Kites - wow - i wouldn't get any work done either. We have a few buzzards that are often over the fields behind the house  - watching the rabbits is my guess. Glad the mornings are starting to lighten.

Cherry 

• my two greater spotted woodpeckers were calling regular over past few years but not this year do you think the severe winter conditions might  have made them not servive?

• New feeder in back garden - thought it would take the birds a while to get used to it - the next day the blue tits were having a go ! followed by house sparrows, dunnocks, long-tailed tits.... and mr robin sitting on the top singing his territory.

• I'd just finished reading your thread Cherry and looked up out of my window. There was a male Pied Flycatcher on the birch tree. I've been hearing them for about ten days now but this was my forst sighting this year. Such smart little guys! My woodpeckers have moved further up into the wood and are drumming away - I expect I will next see them when the family are ready to fly!

Jenni

• Hi Jenni

Great to hear from you. Keep looking and listening ! Out of my car window on saturday, down the lane i saw my first swallow on the telephone wire! Spring has definately sprung

Cherry

• Hi Cherry,

I haven't seen a swallow yet but I was hugely pleased yesterday morning to find that sand martins have returned to the bank of the river in the valley below us. They were missing last two years so seeing them again was just magic. The bank has got a bit overgrown in their absence but they are already scraping out holes. I might do a bit of "gardening" down there this winter when they have gone south to clear some of their old bits of bank from the encroaching grass and I will be watching extra carefully to see that no himalayan balsam reaches that area.

Looking out for swallows today when I go to the sanctuary where I volunteer!

Take care!

Jenni

• Hi everyone

From my front window watching young great tits splashing about in the birdbath this morning. Young robin following me around as i cut the long grass by my apple trees, what will i uncover for him? Young sparrows in the hedge hassling mum & dad for food.

Beautiful spring day

Cherry