What volunteering do you do?

Ohh first post in this forum!

What voluntary things are you involved in? 

Over the last year I've been involved in Bird Friendly Schools, at a local nature reserve and Volunteer & Farmer Alliance.

• Hi Daniel

Oh dear that's not very good on our part!  I will remind Doug to make contact. 

Just so you are not waiting on him his telephone number is 01763 208978.

Let me know if you have any problem making contact.  Apologies again.

Alan Murray

Head of Volunteering for the RSPB

• Unknown said:

Hi Daniel

Oh dear that's not very good on our part!  I will remind Doug to make contact. 

Just so you are not waiting on him his telephone number is 01763 208978.

Let me know if you have any problem making contact.  Apologies again.

Hi Alan,

There is no need to be sorry in anyway. Doug emailed me earlier and said he will phone me soon regarding the volunteering. Sounds like he's been quite busy at Fowlmere lately and just honestly forgot.

Thanks for your help Alan.

Regards Daniel

• Hi Daniel

Thanks for letting me know.  Hope you enjoy your volunteering with us :-)

Alan Murray

• Hello I have recently become a member of the RSPB. I am going to part time hours at work and would love to get involved in some volunteer work in my free time. I live in Woodbridge, Suffolk, but have no idea how to go about getting work or who to contact. I have tried applying for a volunteer job but the email address was not valid. Also the application forms i get downloaded are for residential places. Please help me get involved. Many thanks.

• Hi Sian

Great you're interested in volunteering with us and the person to contact is Annie Sadler (our Volunteering Development Officer for Eastern England) on 01603 697504.  She will be able to tell you what is available in Suffolk local to you. 

You might also want to look here on the website as to what current volunteering opportunities are available http://www.rspb.org.uk/volunteering/opportunities/all.asp.

Welcome onboard :-)

Alan Murray

• Been annoying the RSPB for several years now, Worked at the Mull of Galloway, as a local vol for a couple of seasons, Now to be found getting under everybodies feet at Lochwinnoch, where they have suffered for the past 18 months,

Residential Volunteer, Fell in love with the Ospreys at the Boat of Garten. heading back for the 7th time on May the 8th.

But I also like to go somewhere different once a year if I can do it, so far I have been over to Loch Gruinart on Islay,  Spent several weeks at the sea bird centre on Rathlin Island, of the coast of Northern Island, this year I'm booked and heading to South Stack for a change.

Allan

• Hi

I volunteer at Strumpshaw Fen once a month and have been doing so for over 3 years.  Working on reception allows you to meet people from all walks of life and gives you the chance to see wonderful wildlife.  Im still hoping to see the elusive otters!

I also look after 5 pinbadge boxes and have been doing so for nearly 4 years.

Its very rewarding being a RSPB volunteer and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has a few hours to spare!

Mad Birdwatching lady!

• I also volunteer (as well as work for) the BTO carrying out Garden Birdwatch, Bird Track and Atlas surveys.  Very rewarding and enjoyable.

For more details contact info@bto.org

Mad Birdwatching lady!

• I started out as a volunteer for the Sussex Wildlife Trust - working over at Lewes, mainly scrub clearing on Malling Down. Plenty to keep us busy and we always have a good bonfire going in the winter.  We're usually really lucky with the weather and enjoy stunning views of the Ouse valley.

I also volunteer for the South Downs Joint Committee (as was) as a volunteer ranger.  A good variety of outdoor tasks such as scrub clearance, path and fence maintenance, helping out on events, talking to the public and occasional surveys.  Not sure what will happen with the National Park but hopefully volunteer activities will continue.

I volunteer as a Hide and Trails volunteer with the RSPB at Pulborough.  Seeing what's out on the reserve at different times of the year and showing the visitors.

And finally, I'm involved with a local Friends group - looking after a local area that is also part of the South Downs National Park.

• I became an RSPB member a few months ago and volunteer at the Farnham Heath reserve. I have my first event which is a villiage festival next to the reserve next Sunday and have also put my name down for the Weyfest music festival which is also next to the reserve in September. Can't wait - I think music festival's would be a good place for a pitch to encourage people to become member and get them interested in the reserves - we'll see! It's only a tiny festival with mostly unsigned bands, but saying that The Stranglers are headlining! I hope to get some training to do trail, school events etc too. I have also applied to do residential volunteering too and just awaiting a reply :)