Starting Out

Hi everybody - new to the forum.

I'm currently looking for a bit of advice.

I am looking for a possible career change (from IT) to something a bit more worthwhile, physical and outdoors related.

For as long as I can remember I have loved wildlife, be it insects, birds etc etc and I love doing anything outdoors.

I recently decided to look into volunteering for a number of reasons, namely

1. To see if I actually enjoy the type of work

2. To help look after habitats etc

3. To gain experience for possible later employment

I have been onto the RSPB volunteering page and am very interested in the residential stays at the reserves. I would love to do something like this, however I have a number of concerns, which maybe people could advise on

1. The application form asks for one of the referees to be able to comment on my suitability to work with young people. I have never had the chance to work with young people before and so no-one can really comment on my suitability.

2. I have no specific experience with conservation or specific wildlife knowledge.

Might either of these cause any problems for me, or will I pick up experience of both while doing the residential?

I emailed the contact on the volunteering page with similar questions but as yet have not had a response.

Thanks in advance!

• I managed to get hold of someone who deals with volunteering at the RSPB, so I have my answer.

I thought I'd share in case anyone else wondered the same thing.

Basically it's not a huge issue if you don't have any experience working with young people as many of the volunteers are in the same boat. However, referee 1 does need to be able to give a good character reference, which is fair enough.

Off to fill out the form when I get home :)