Diversity and Inclusion statistics for the volunteer workforce

Hi,

I'm 25 and have been volunteering with my RSPB local group since the beginning of the year. It's very rewarding and enjoyable. I also appreciate the opportunity it's given me; it's great to action my love for nature and know that I'm part of a like-minded community, working together alongside a charity with goals close to my beliefs.

I hope that an admin or staff member can help me answer this question.

I'd like to know what the diversity and inclusion rates are for the volunteer workforce. How many volunteers are there in total, and what are the ratios like in terms of representation for the following? 

- BAME
- LGBTQ+

In terms of transparency, is there a place where volunteers can find this info themselves? Is there anyone who's working on this internally on behalf of volunteers, and is looking in to ensuring that a broad selection of applicants are going volunteer roles? 

Would be interested in hearing how equal representation is weighted in this area :) 

Thanks, keep up the amazing work!

J

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Rhonda,

I am doing my Msc at the University of Kent on Conservation and Rural Development and I would love to volunteer. How can I do so?

Cheers,
    Christell
  • Rhoda will doubtless be back in a while to answer, but in the meantime, there are lots of opportunities on the main website www.rspb.org.uk/.../ where you can filter them by region etc. Or simply chat to the people at your local reserve - you may well find they have regular work parties that may not find their way onto the official opportunities list.
    It depends what sort of thing you're interested in doing, all reserves need help with practical matters (ie reserve maintenance stuff), but bigger reserves (like my local, Minsmere) will have volunteer roles in the shop, café, reception, guiding visitors and the like