Favourite aspect of volunteering?

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to this group and thought I might go ahead and start a brand new thread.

My volunteering is based in the South East, helping with the editing / formatting of the volunteer newsletter, 'Involve',  which is how I found out about this group. What is really interesting from reading everyone's responses on the forum is how different someone's role can be!

So here are some questions I wanted to ask:

What is your favourite aspect of volunteering? As all experiences are so diverse, I was wondering how different the answers would be

and secondly,

Do you hope to get involved with further volunteering in the future? If so, what have you been considering?

(I've been thinking about reserve work in the future - I think because I've always liked the thought of working outside... )  

thanks and looking forward to hearing your responses

Rebecca

Parents
  • Hi Rebecca,

I volunteer at RSPB Langford Lowfields in Notts , basically its a reserve in the making , it is currently a working gravel pit.

I have been doing this for around 4 years and have so many treasured memories of sights and people .

I love learning new things and being introduced to the world of Butterflies and Moths was pretty mind blowing for me . But I love being outdoors and in our case seeing what we have created. Believe me it is beautiful and very satisfying to know I have played my part.

As for payment the whole project is aimed at creating reedbed habitat for the Bittern , and this year we had our first , also my first sighting of a Bittern when on a cold snowy morning I almost walked into it !!! Now thats better than money !!

As for the future I cant see myself not volunteering and hope to get involved in as much as time allows .

I would reccommend volunteering at a reserve because it is so satisfying and rewarding in so many ways , learning new skills and meeting a diverse mix of people. Have you thought about short term volunteering for the RSPB at one of their reserves , I did 3 weeks at Titchwell and really enjoyed it .

Graham

• Hi Graham,

that does sound brilliant - to know that you've actually helped to create a habitat and to then see the Bittern enjoying it must be so rewarding!

I also think working outside around nature is so good for people generally in terms of mood etc. It's surely difficult to feel bad if you know you're providing something so valuable.

Short term volunteering is definitely something I've been considering for the future!

Does this kind of work come up all year round? Or are there certain seasons where there are more things that need to be done?

Rebecca

• Hi Rebecca

I think that the short term vol stuff is all year round , and like I said go for it !! You wont regret it .

Graham

Reply Children
No Data