• Volunteer Line Managers express their thanks!

Volunteers are the lifeblood of the RSPB, with nearly 17'000 of them contributing over 1 million hours & making up about 20% of the RSPB's entire workforce! As such, some of our Volunteer Line Managers have provided a few words in praise of...
  • Bempton Cliffs welcomes its youngest volunteer!

There can’t be many seven year old girls who prefer bird song to the songs of One Direction but then Gracie Mae Mortimer is quite unusual. Not only is she passionate about nature, she’s also just become the youngest volunteer at the RSPB’s...
  • Volunteer Day at the Lodge, June 2nd

With nearly 14'000 volunteers across the British Isles, the RSPB really does rely on and value the work put in by those giving their free time to support the charity. As such, staff from the Volunteering department at RSPB HQ recently threw a volunteer...
  • Volunteer spotlight – HQ staff help with Lodge natterjacks

Monitoring our rare natterjack toads through the breeding season With some key volunteers moving on, and no warden until July, Senior Site Manager Peter Bradley was concerned about covering this year’s natterjack breeding season. Following on...
  • RSPB Conwy fundraising

Over the years we’ve done a few things to raise funds for RSPB Cymru, but nothing mega. At the most there was only six or seven of us, now there is only four, but we all care about nature, and about educating the younger generation, getting them...
  • Discover volunteering at RSPB Conwy

Have you ever thought about volunteering for RSPB Cymru and not quite sure where to start? Come along to RSPB Conwy Volunteering open afternoon and find out how and where you could get involved. Whether you have a couple of hours or are interested in...
  • Millenium Volunteer Ultimate Award winner!

Long time RSPB volunteer Matthew Scott recently won the Millenium Volunteer Ultimate Award. The MV helps young (14-30) people in Northern Ireland to combine volunteering with their academic and personal lives. Matthew has volunteered in a wide variety...
  • 1,000 New Homes for Wildlife!

Way back at the end of September last year, inspired by The RSPB’s ‘Giving Nature a Home’ campaign, Macclesfield RSPB Wildlife Explorers decided to set themselves a target to publicise the need for everyone to provide a little bit of...
  • Stepping up for Nature by Georgia Waye-Barker

Stepping up for Nature Having completed a degree in Environmental Science over the summer, I was keen to get involved with an organisation that I share similar values with. From a very young age I have always loved getting out into the countryside...
  • Triple 40th birthday celebrations for Local Groups

Earlier this year, not one, not two, but three Local Groups celebrated momentous birthdays, helping to triumph the cause of nature and wildlife in their communities and beyond for 40 years! July saw Leeds LG gather at Rodley Nature Reserve in the city...
  • Executive Decision: Mike Clarke's volunteering day at Baron's Haugh

RSPB staff are encouraged to spend one day a year volunteering elsewhere in the organisation. This includes those right at the top of the RSPB's 'food-chain' as Chief Executive Mike Clarke discovered.

He tells us about his day helping to...

• An interview with RSPB volunteer Matthew Scott

We chat to Matthew Scott, a young volunteer, about his time with the RSPB...

Hi Matthew! When did you first begin volunteering with the RSPB and how often do you volunteer?                                                                                                                               Matthew Scott

I started volunteering...

• The Brecks – one of the UKs most important regions for conservation

Hi all. This is my first blog so I would like to introduce myself. My name is Robert Hawkes and I’m the RSPB grass heath project officer for the East of England. The Brecks is located in north Suffolk and south Norfolk and is nearly 1000 square...
  • Volunteering in the Brecks- Why we need your help!

Continuing our volunteering spotlight this week on the Brecks - our Brecks Community Engagement Officer, Sammy Fraser tells us why the Brecks are so important and why the Brecks needs you!... The Brecks encompasses both Suffolk and Norfolk in its boundary...
  • Into the Brecks - an undiscovered landscape

The Brecks is perhaps one of the best kept secrets in East Anglia. Whilst many locals and visitors alike will head to the Suffolk coast or the Norfolk broads for a day out, the Brecks is a landscape with a fantastic amount to offer anyone wanting to explore...
  • From volunteer to staff!

This week we take a look at how one young man went from bored teenager to RSPB staff member all thanks to volunteering! I was 14. A bored, home educated teenager with lots of free time. One spring day, a visit to the Aren't Birds Brilliant! project...
  • Writtle College student’s work on BBC Springwatch

Writtle College student’s work on BBC Springwatch Volunteer Jenny Cox tells us about her experience volunteering during Springwatch and why she will continue to volunteer at Minsmere over the summer. She readily admits that even two years...
  • Volunteering at The RSPB in the Hebrides

I love getting stories from volunteers who have been inspired and amazed at the time they spend helping the nature around them. This week, Calum Wells tells us why he wants you to come and try volunteering at the RSPB in the Hebrides...

One of the...

• Guest volunteering blog Part 2: The beginning of Hazeley Heath

Time for part two of our Hazeley Heath Spotlight and here Emily Clark tells us why she loves being involved with the very beginning of Hazeley Heath’s story... "Following my work in community fundraising in the South East Regional Office...
  • Guest Volunteering blog from Hazeley Heath: Volunteering – a two way thing

This week we are turning the spotlight on Hazeley Heath volunteers. Hazeley Heath is a surviving vestige of a once sprawling lowland heathland of south England. 

Isabel Morgan, the Project officer from Hazeley Heath, tells us what volunteers and volunteering...

• 4 Reasons why your volunteering for The RSPB will help Give Nature a Home

Ever since The RSPB was formed by volunteers to counter the trade in plumes for women's hats, Volunteering has been an integral part of all we do for nature. From all walks of life and bringing a vast variety of skills, love and enthusiasm, Volunteers...
  • Are you a handy volunteer?

What do you think about when you think of The RSPB? Reserves? Conservation? Birds? Nature? What about buildings and signage? machines? cars? Its easy to think about volunteering in terms of practical conservation, surveying, showing people wildlife...
  • Volunteering top tips to getting a career in conservation

So you're looking for a career in conservation and are thinking about volunteering but your friends are telling you to make sure you get the most from the time you give. Here are our top tips to getting the most from your volunteering and increase...
  • Volunteering in your pyjamas can make a difference.

No I’m not Lazy just busy. After making beds, breakfast, lunches, dressing children, dressing myself, supervising teeth brushing, tidying up, planning the dinner, checking my emails, checking my diary, feeding the cats, taking the kids to school...
  • Don’t volunteer for free...Discuss!

Over the Christmas and New Year I visited an old friend, and as they always love a good debate after a while they got the conversation round to my job, managing volunteers and volunteering. “I wouldn’t do anything that I could get paid...