Introduction Thread.

Following on from Emily's blog, she's right there are many names here I already recognise, but also some that I don't.

So to get things going some stuff about me.....

I'm a 34yr old father of four, living in damp south wales in the boundaries of Europe's largest urban forest :)

I've had a passion for wildlife since I was a small child, that lay dormant for a while but has re lit with avengeance.

I am also a member of a local bird group and  conduct BTO surveys.

My favourite birds if I have to pick some are Jay's and Goshawk, but I love all corvids.

The origins of the username :), the kp is from my surname, the mpie is an abbreviation of magpie (started as magpie is always taken on the internet)in honour of the fledgling I raised and released a few years back

It's both what you do and the way that you do it!

You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren.
William Henry Hudson (1841 - 1922)

• Lolly,

The whole coast looks fab, I did see a few waders on the mudflats around Burntisland when the trains were slow leaving the station, too far away to see without bins though! Didn't see any Submarines at Rosyth though! lol

Yeah they are using special paint, I guess it's not very freindly as they have now covered whole areas completely (either that or health and safety!)

H

• Thanks Lolly,

That would make sense :)

H

• Hi all, my name’s Steven and I’m the Parliamentary Campaigns Manager here at The Lodge. I’ve worked for the RSPB for just over seven years now (before that I was a volunteer for six months so it’s really more like eight).

I’ve spent all that time in the Parliamentary Campaigns Team helping supporters like you step up and be a voice for nature by providing opportunities for you to support RSPB campaigns. Usually this means contacting politicians like Vince Cable as part of our campaign on the ‘Red Tape Challenge’, which threatens the future of our environmental legislation (http://www.rspb.org.uk/redtape). It can also mean your Local Authority, your MP, or even European decision makers – as with our recent campaign on CAP reform.

The RSPB is fortunate to have such a large group of dedicated supporters like you willing to step up for nature like this. Tens of thousands of you support our campaigns every year and we’ve achieved some significant successes because of your help. For example, in the run up to this year’s devolved elections, and last year’s UK General Election, we secured a range of good environmental commitments from all political parties (the challenge now is to make sure they deliver!), and in 2009 we secured legislation to protect our marine environment – we’re now campaigning to ensure it is implemented in the right way so that seabirds are fully protected (www.rspb.org.uk/marinepetition).

I’d like to take this opportunity to say thank you all very much!

Judging by other people’s posts it seems like I should also say something about me personally so... I enjoy the outdoors and I like to spend my holidays walking – the Lake District being my favourite place in the UK, particularly the area around Keswick.

I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Steven

• Hi All

I am Spoonbill - that much you already know...

I am a local RSPB group Campaign Champion, and have been for over a year now. Ask me if you don't know what that is, or want to become one but don't know what's involved. It's good fun and very rewarding.

Before that I was an RSPB letter writer (I suppose I still am!). I think the 1st campaign I was involved in was the Marine Conservation Act or hunting in Malta, but I have written whenever I can.

My job is writing - enough said ;-)

To relax I love walking and nature watching. I have been interested in birds since spotting an unusual one in the front garden when I was about 12. It was a Goldcrest!

Anyway, see you around the forum soon.