Black Cap

Is it unusual to see a Black Cap in a garden in Fife in January? The bird in question has been spending about half an hour a day in the garden for the last five days feeding and perching in the nearby hedge between feeding sessions.

• Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum, I am new here too.

I get lots of birds here in Chester Le Street but not yet seen a black cap. I'm eagerly waiting though and hope I get to see one.

I have noticed with most of the birds that they are in huge droves in the Winter months more so than in Summer. I suspect that is because a lot more people are feeding them now & where as before it was hard to find wild bird food anywhere, It has become as common as cat & dog food in the super markets.

Best wishes,

Lauren

• panacea81 said:

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum, I am new here too.

I get lots of birds here in Chester Le Street but not yet seen a black cap. I'm eagerly waiting though and hope I get to see one.

I have noticed with most of the birds that they are in huge droves in the Winter months more so than in Summer. I suspect that is because a lot more people are feeding them now & where as before it was hard to find wild bird food anywhere, It has become as common as cat & dog food in the super markets.

Best wishes,

Lauren

Lauren buying bird food from a supermarket  is very expensive, much cheaper to buy in sack from a farm shop if you have one close.

• Unknown said:

Yay, my little male blackcap was the first visitor when my Watch began!! I also got an appearance from my occasion GSW visitor but sadly my other specials, a group of redwings, did not show  up for the event!

Willow. 

Couldn't believe my luck yesterday....just started the BGBW hour and for the first time in fifteen years had my first sighting of a male Blackcap on our fat ball feeders...Woo Hoo!!!! In Yate South Glos.

[/quote]

We have a female Blackcap visit our garden every day during the winter in Bradley Stoke. However, since the middle of March we've had no more sightings of her (:

• Unknown said:

Yay, my little male blackcap was the first visitor when my Watch began!! I also got an appearance from my occasion GSW visitor but sadly my other specials, a group of redwings, did not show  up for the event!

Willow. 

Couldn't believe my luck yesterday....just started the BGBW hour and for the first time in fifteen years had my first sighting of a male Blackcap on our fat ball feeders...Woo Hoo!!!! In Yate South Glos.

[/quote]

We have a female Blackcap visit our garden every day during the winter in Bradley Stoke. However, since the middle of March we've had no more sightings of her (:

[/quote]

We are in Hampshire and for several years had the odd Blackcap or two but the last two winters we have had as many as 5 Male & 4 Female at any one time. We put a small branch of a tree in the ground in front of the house and smear the branches with peanut butter. They absolutely adore it and it enables us to get lovely clear views of them. They seem very plain at first but are actually very delicately beautiful especially the Male with his pale blue collar. This winter we have also had a Male with a white stripe across his head. We can't wait for next winter to see if he returns. Have not seen the Males for a few days now, just the odd Female. Similarly Siskins & Bramblings, just the Females now. Does anyone know does this mean that the Males have gone on ahead to check out summer territories

• Hi Guys,

We live in Kelso and we are very lucky to live near woodland and have lots of visitors to our table and feeders. During my birdwatch this little bird appeared which I've seen one or twice during the last few weeks. It was only the size of a blue tit but was a buff colour and very fluffy with a black cap and nother markings. We thought it was a Marsh Tit at first but judging by it's antics it must be a Blackcap as it proceeded to chase any other little bird that came within 2metres of the bird table which it seemed to be guarding! Funny to watch :) Two Nuthatches and a flock of long-tailed tits also paid a visit :)

• I've had a pair of Blackcaps feeding from my suet blocks for about 2 months now.  The female was feeding on and off this morning and then to my surprise, another female turned up, I had 2 females and 1 male altogether.  My Robin does like chasing them off though.

It does seem to me that more Blackcaps have chosen to winter in England this year.  It must be all the tasty food that is being put out.  It will be interesting to see how their numbers have increased this year,

• It is believed that most of the Blackcaps that we see in winter are immigrants from central and northern Europe. They will return there to breed come the spring.

The birds that breed here in the summer spend the winter in Spain and Africa returning here in the spring.

I had a couple of males spend the last two winters in the garden but haven't seen any this winter sadly.

•  

Mr an Mrs Blackcap - Regular visitors to my feeders now!

• How absolutely beautiful! Very envious, we normally have several Blackcaps throughout the winter but none this year. Last year we had one with a white strip across the back of his head and were so looking forward to seeing him this winter so we we would know for sure he was the same one but no luck. We have however been lucky enough to have Redwings who stripped a bush of berries within 4 days!

• Lovely photos, Maria. Still no sign of them in my garden this winter. Maybe the very cold weather will bring them in. I live in hope.