Big Garden Birdwatch 2015

Glad to say that I have greenfinches visiting my bird feeder at the moment after many years of not seeing any and a goldfinch (hopefully a pair), which again has been absent from my garden for a few years. To top it all, I saw a song thrush on the lawn this morning and I have not seen one in the garden for a couple of years. Things are looking up in South Gloucestershire!
  • Thats lovely to hear Rosemary,  I've not seen as many finches this season and numbers seem down so its great you are getting them in your garden, hopefully you will see some offspring in due course :)    Song Thrushes are beautiful birds, another lovely species to have in your garden so well done.

• We have quite a few starlings on the feeders.  Blackbirds & robin as well.

• In the East Midlands, we have had a couple of Goldfinches, Blue and Great Tits and a pair of Long Tailed Finches. Couple of Collared Doves, Robins, Wren, Blackbirds and......Starlings!  Done quite well over the last few weeks but hope for better.

• WHERE HAVE ALL THE CHAFFINCHES GONE??

Yes Rosemary glad to hear it? I have got several Greenfinches visiting the garden again, but not to the feeders, I used to have 6 or 8 on my bird feeding station every year. Altough we have had a pair nest regularly for several years now. The same for Chaffinches, although I am pleased to see a couple in the garden this year though. Some birds seem to have had a bad time others have done well, Robins, Wrens,Blackbirds and Dunnocks are nesting in the garden, the robins have fledged. A song Thrush has made an appearance for a second year and 6 or so Goldfinches and a regular pair feeding on the Nyger feeder, which successfully nested last year, to make this more attractive I have tied several teasel heads to the feeder and sprinkle the heads with the seed which the birds readily take from between the prickles.The Black caps have been present for months now, with the pair of Yellowhammers which have made an appearance for the last 3 years now. A pair of LT Tits have broken away from the family hunting groups so they are presumably looking to nest.In addition to this a wonderful pair of Goldcrests are freqent visitors, almost buzzing around the garden, I am alerted by the thin tseep that they give out periodically.

One bird I have not been able to identify is to be seen flitting around the garden but spends a lot of time de-bugging next doors plum tree, amongst the white blossom, it is a sleek sparrow sized bird with white / light underside, greyish brown upper and a darker head. The song ranges to a quiet chattering to a fluting loud outburst similar to a thrush. Anybody got any ideas?

Salisbury Wilts (rural garden)

• Unknown said:
    One bird I have not been able to identify is to be seen flitting around the garden but spends a lot of time de-bugging next doors plum tree, amongst the white blossom, it is a sleek sparrow sized bird with white / light underside, greyish brown upper and a darker head. The song ranges to a quiet chattering to a fluting loud outburst similar to a thrush. Anybody got any ideas?

Hi Silver Fox

If you want something identified it's usually better to post it in the Identify this forum in the Wildlife section. Not many people use the BGBW forum after the event itself.

Your description approximates to a Garden Warbler although I don't know about a dark head. They are quite plain looking warblers without many distinguishing features. My photos of them are rather poor because they don't show very well. Here's the best of a bad bunch.

Hopefully, these might enough to see if I'm the right lines.

I think the biggest clue though is the song. It's similar to a Blackcap with which you are familiar but it goes on somewhat longer. Have a listen to this sound clip (not mine)

Mathias Ritschard - Xeno Canto

If you could get a photo that would help a lot.

• I have ivy growing over my garden wall it's,quite a large amount and very thick, I have, I would say around 50 sparrows living in it, along side black birds, I have robins in my garage and wood pigeons, my garden is a hive of activity throughout the year.

• I see plenty 5 mins down the road but they just don't seem to want to venture up abit. This morning was the closest ive seen a pack of about 5/6 goldfinches near my house and that's just outside my estate.

Do they prefere bushes and open plan gardens? My has a wooded area and no !

• michelles1354765572 said:

I have ivy growing over my garden wall it's,quite a large amount and very thick, I have, I would say around 50 sparrows living in it, along side black birds, I have robins in my garage and wood pigeons, my garden is a hive of activity throughout the year.

Hi Michelle. Sounds like a wonderful location. It must get quite noisy with all the chattering Sparrows.

• mommaj said:

I see plenty 5 mins down the road but they just don't seem to want to venture up abit. This morning was the closest ive seen a pack of about 5/6 goldfinches near my house and that's just outside my estate.

Do they prefere bushes and open plan gardens? My has a wooded area and no !

I get Goldies in my urban garden. They like niger seed and sunflower hearts especially. Like most garden birds they prefer some nearby cover for protection against predators. If you have a wooded area, they should be fine there.

• Then I'm not sure why they haven't! Is there birds they don't like??? I put out Niger seeds and they don't get eaten x