BGBW 2015

I am registered but would like to download a sheet with the birds that need ticking off on it, as I had last year. Are you still doing this?

Thanks, Val.

• A good morning (though yesterday in the frost would have been better).  No dunnock or coal tits, but all the other regulars appeared: 31 birds, 12 species.  I was so pleased that 8 sparrows turned up together, plus one of the blackcaps and a bonus ring-necked parakeet.  And TWO robins (having a fight, of course, which is what any two robins on the same feeder will do...)

• A good selection there Greenlady. Well done.

• Has anyone seen Blackcap ?  I had a male in the garden during my BGBW yesterday and couldn't believe my eyes.  Summer visitor, right ? especially to Fife, Scotland.  On googling I found and joined this community. Thanks to posts from previous years I discovered that Blackcaps occasionally overwinter in Fife.  You live and learn !

• Hi Chris

In previous years I've had up to two males and at least one female during the winter. This year they haven't turned up although a friend who only lives a couple of miles away has had one. They are particularly partial to suet products and also apples as you can see.

Apparently, ringing studies have revealed that these are mainly migrants coming in from Europe rather than the ones that breed here in summer which tend to head for southern Europe. An interesting change in bird behaviour.

I'm still hopeful one may favour my garden before the winter is over.

• Hi folks. I thought I’d add my count which was carried out this morning (Sunday) on a very dull day. 0nly 10 species recorded this year, as compared to 15 species last year. Anyway, the first number is this year’s count, (with the numbers in brackets being last year).

House Sparrow 25 (68)

Starling 47 (41)

Rook 10 (4)

Jackdaw        24 (45)

Robin 0 (1)

Blackbird 1 (3)

Chaffinch 3 (11)

Wood Pigeon 0 (6)

Collared Dove 1 (4)

Blue Tit 2 (4)

Dunnock        1 (2)

Goldfinch 2 (2)

Magpie 0 (2)

Great Tit 0 (3)

Yellowhammer 0 (4)

There seems to be a decrease in almost all the bird numbers although the fields at the back of my house were ‘fertilized’ two days ago and are swarming with Corvids and Wood Pigeon. I haven’t seen any Yellowhammers this year in the garden, but it has been a mild winter so far. The House Sparrow numbers were also down considerably this time around, although we do regularly get numbers in the vicinity of 80 - 100 birds.

Paul

• There were 15+ crows in one tree this morning making a noise but only 4 during the bird watch hour (yesterday for me).      

9 x Magpies

4 x Carrion Crow

9 x Jackdaw

3 x Jay

6 x Blackbird

1 x Nuthatch

1 x Wren

3 x Robin

4 x Blue Tit

3 x Great Tit

2 x Coal Tit

2 x Wood Pigeon

1 x Bullfinch

1 x Great Spotted Woodpecker

4 x Chaffinch

lower than a normal hour in the garden but that was probably due to 19 grey squirrels  :(

and this is partly why  !    too much luxury food on offer  that they couldn't keep their sticky paws off    ..........

• I did my count somewhere between 10-25 and 11-25 yesterday. Only Mrs BR was there to represent the Robins (no GR) and Spadger numbers were down although the full horde did arrive later in the day (typical!).

Goldfinch 1

Spadgers 40+

Ferals 32

Starlings 17

Robin 1

Blue Tit 1

Wood Pigeon 1

The pastry filled coconuts have become a real favourite for all species (and they're 'cheep' to keep filled!)

• Yes! After not seeing a Blackcap in my garden for quite a while, I saw one yesterday. He decided to have a feed on the peanuts. I was chuffed to bits.

• Afternoon all, here are the results from my garden in Caithness. Saturday which I did at 1-2pm. Quite a good number, despite an awful gale and hailstones (big) for all off 10 minutes, then the wind ceased and the sun came out!! As usual some of my normal visitors never made an appearance in the hour, great tit, collard dove, pigeon, wren. The school bullies (starlings) as I call them came in a flock, landed among the wee ones and flew from ground to feeder so they were difficult to count.

2 - Blackbird

1- Blue Tit

1- Crow

11- Chaffinch

1- Dunnock

6- Goldfinch

5 - Sparrow

1- Greenfinch

1- Robin

40- Starlings

4- Gulls

• Brilliant !  I hope 'mine' is still around in Spring when he starts to sing.