• Hello from Rathlin!

Hello!

We’re Ric and Hazel, the new Visitor Experience Officers at the Rathlin West Light Seabird Centre.

We’ve been on the island for a few weeks now and the time has passed more quickly than the whirring of a puffin’s wings! Coming from the flat, fertile mosses of West Lancashire, Rathlin’s rugged cliffs and heath-clad hills are a dramatic and beautiful change of scenery for us.

Setting…

• Big Wild Sleepout is back!

There aren’t many ways to get closer to nature than by spending a night sleeping under the stars. There’s something pretty magical about being snuggled up in a sleeping bag in the pitch-black with just the night-time noises for company.

Here at RSPB NI HQ, excitement is building for a wild night out like no other! Our most popular family event of the year, Big Wild Sleepout, will take place on Saturday 22…

• A tern for the better at Portmore Lough!

Guest blog by Laura Smith, RSPB Portmore Lough warden

Portmore Lough, a hidden haven for nature near Aghalee in County Antrim, is home to a thriving colony of common terns.

These amazing birds, nicknamed ‘sea swallows’ due to their long tails, migrate all the way from Africa each spring to breed at the reserve. Despite their name, numbers of these birds are falling and they are now amber-listed (of medium conservation…

• Rathlin calling!

Guest blog by Bronac Gallagher 

When I look back to my all-too-short time living on Rathlin Island as an RSPB volunteer, it’s with very fond and happy memories. Rathlin is a unique and idyllic getaway brimming with an abundance of nature, breathtaking views, unpredictable weather and friendly islanders!

I’m 32 years old, hail from Newry, live in Belfast and have a passion for animals and nature. I graduated in…

• The environment is the economy

Guest blog by Anne-Marie McDevitt, RSPB NI Head of Conservation

This week will see voters in Northern Ireland go to the polls for the second time in just 10 months, to elect representatives to the Assembly following its dramatic collapse last month.

The environment is never at the top of the politicians’ agendas, often being seen as something that can be left aside as we get the economy sorted out. It’s not an understatement…

• Helping nature one tree pose at a time!

Guest blog by Claire Ferry, Maitri Studio

When I gave up my job at RSPB NI after several years working in nature conservation, some people wondered if I had lost interest or heart in saving the environment. I’ll admit, some of the nitty gritty of dealing with planning and politics took its toll and was not missed, but I didn’t lose the inherent sense of belonging in the natural world and the need to get out there and…

• Show a little love for our feathered friends!

Cupid might have come and gone for another year, but there’s still time to show a little love for our feathered friends!

National Nest Box Week runs until Tuesday (21 February) and marks one of the last opportunities to put up homes for birds before the nesting season begins.

Over 60 species are known to have used nestboxes. However different birds have different property requirements! For example, migrant birds…

• Digging deep for nature!

Guest blog by Colin Graham, RSPB NI Volunteering Development Officer

The distinctive ‘crex-crex’ call of the corncrake was once a familiar sound in our countryside. But sadly, within a generation, the species has been virtually wiped out in Northern Ireland.

RSPB NI has been working for a number of years to entice corncrake back to Rathlin Island and last May a male was heard calling for more than 50…

• Let them eat cake!

Guest blog by Kathryn Cochrane, RSPB NI Communications Manager

Anytime I ask my six year old daughter what activity she wants to do on the weekend it's inevitably a request to bake together. As it’s January and sweet treats are the last thing I need after recent festivities, I suggested instead we could make bird cakes to attract more birds into our garden ahead of Big Garden Birdwatch.

The bird cake ingredients…

• Hands up to help on Rathlin!

Guest blog by Alison McFaul, Visitor Experience Manager, Rathlin West Light Seabird Centre

I’ve been living on the Rathlin for over 20 years and am married to Liam, an islander born and bred. Liam is a fisherman, farmer and many things in-between, as well as the RSPB NI warden, so there isn’t much he doesn’t know about the island and the amazing nature that makes its home here! Liam works on the conservation and reserve…

• Stormont in crisis

Guest blog by Colum Delaney, RSPB NI Policy Advocacy Officer

You know the old cliché ‘a week is a long time in politics’? Well that’s a huge understatement when it comes to politics in Northern Ireland!

After months of claim and counter claim, wrangling and recriminations over the Renewable Heat Incentive Scheme, we’re headed for an Assembly election on Thursday 2 March.

Business at the…

• Kids go wild for nature!

Guest blog by Jess McVicar, RSPB NI Youth and Education Manager

Finding stuff to do with small children over the weekend isn’t always easy. Last Saturday I was negotiating a scuffle over a particularly popular toy when I realised what I needed to do - something that keeps my two boys occupied, happy and active without a huge amount of planning or expense. The answer was, of course, getting them outdoors!

My…

• Top tips for nature novices!

Guest blog by Claire Barnett, RSPB NI Conservation Team Leader

Each January, around half a million people in the UK take part in the RSPB’s Big Garden Birdwatch, spending one hour counting what they see in their garden. This is citizen science at its best – huge numbers of people collecting data that enables us to determine bird population trends to work out which species need our help most.

With Big Garden…

• Festive feasting for our feathered friends!

Christmas is a time for feasting and fattening up, not least for the birds. In winter, they need high-energy food to keep themselves warm and with insects and natural food sources in short supply, laying on a festive spread for your feathered friends is a great idea.

Birds will happily polish off leftover cake or crumbs of biscuit and mince pie, as well as other kitchen leftovers like mild grated cheese, cold potatoes…

• A landmark for Northern Ireland’s marine wildlife!

Guest blog by Kenny Bodles, RSPB NI Marine Conservation Officer

What a week it’s been for Northern Ireland’s marine wildlife! After several years of lengthy campaigning, detailed deliberation and extensive evidence gathering, we finally have official confirmation that the Northern Ireland government has designated four new Marine Conservation Zones (MCZs) for Northern Ireland’s seas.

These new designations…

• It’s the most wonderful time of the year...

With 2017 just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to take stock of what we’ve achieved for nature in Northern Ireland over the last 12 months.

There have been some big changes and challenges in the past year, not least the result of the EU referendum. But taking time to reflect and celebrate success is important to help us head into the new year with renewed energy.

Here’s a snapshot of our team…

• Amazing autumn!

It’s easy to see why autumn is so many people’s favourite season - gorgeous shades of red and gold all around; bright, crisp days and the jingle of sleigh bells just around the corner makes this time of year extra special.

With temperatures beginning to drop, I’m noticing more wildlife in my garden – from gutsy robins battling over territory to greedy blackbirds pecking at the apples which have fallen from…

• Ards man crowned NI’s most Wildlife-Friendly Farmer!

Last week I had the privilege of attending one of the most prestigious events in the farming industry’s social calendar – the Farming Life and Danske Bank Awards.

This is the third year RSPB Northern Ireland has sponsored the Wildlife Friendly Farmer of the Year award and, as always, the competition was fierce!

More than 300 people from across Northern Ireland attended the event at the Ramada Hotel at…

• Encouraging news for wildlife-friendly farming

Since the vote to leave the European Union on 23 June, it’s been unclear if funding for important environmental initiatives would still be available for Northern Ireland. One such scheme is the agri-environment programme which is worth around £100million and incentivises farmers to farm in a way which benefits nature.

In 2011, approximately…

• Survey season – behind the scenes!

Guest blogs by Amy Burns (Fermanagh warden) and Sarah McCaffrey (Upper Lough Erne Conservation Advisor)

Amy Burns:

People ask me how on earth I can get out of bed at 5am to go and look at birds. Well, firstly I tell them by 5am bed is already a distant memory!

In the summer I start surveying at dawn and that means (literally) falling out of bed at 3.45am, jumping in the car, collecting the boat, launching it and…

• The State of Nature in Northern Ireland

Guest blog by Colum Delaney, RSPB NI Advocacy and Campaigns Officer

The new State of Nature report throws up big challenges for everyone who cares about nature and the protection of our natural environment.

These are challenges which require environmental organisations, government, business and the wider public to work together if we’re to tackle the stark declines in species and habitats that the report reveals…

• Nature Needs You!

Guest blog by Orlagh McLaughlin

When I got the call to say I was invited to speak on the panel at the UK State of Nature launch in London, alongside the likes of Iolo Williams and Sir David Attenborough, I was in shock! Growing up I was inspired by David Attenborough's wonderful narrative of the natural world and amazed by the excitement of Springwatch. Here was my chance to meet some of my greatest childhood heroes…

• Portmore's ponies!

Guest blog by Laura Smith, Portmore Lough warden

At this time of year breeding wader birds, mostly lapwings, have finished nesting in the wet meadows and Portmore’s resident herd of konik ponies have moved on to pastures new – the fen.

‘Konik’ is the Polish word for pony and they are a hardy breed, withstanding all sorts of inclement weather and acting as ‘living lawnmowers’ to munch the ground into…

• Minister McIlveen pays a flying visit to Rathlin!

We were delighted to welcome Department of Agriculture Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) Minister Michelle McIlveen MLA to the newly refurbished West Light Seabird Centre on Rathlin Island yesterday (31 August).

The visit provided an opportunity for the new Minister to view the range of work RSPB NI is involved in on the island to protect and enhance…

• Bat Detectives!

Bats get a bad press but, if you can accept they aren’t after your blood, you’ll be amazed by these magnificent mammals!

Northern Ireland is home to eight species of bats and, as its name suggests, the common pipistrelle is found most often here. They can weigh as little as three grams – about the same as a 5p coin - but can munch their way though 3,000 insects in just one night!

Common Pipistrelle…