• Sorry starling fans

I apologise. I give in. I didn't mean it. SORRY!

Mindblowing. Wouldn't you love to be part of it?When I said there are no starling murmurations in London anymore in an interview about the Big Garden Birdwatch on BBC London, what I meant was that you don't see those huge, dense clouds of starlings that London once enjoyed. Yes. I know there are still starlings and some of them do swirl about like a dervish at a drum and bass party, but not in the same numbers…

• It's the economy... sustainable.

Last year Chancellor George Osborne declared in the Commons that laws protecting our environment were "a ridiculous cost on British business” and he proposed ripping them up.

Gorgeous London, seen from the east over Rainham MarshesSleep soundly in your beds tonight, calmed by the knowledge that your local park, river, woods and the whole country won't be covered in concrete; and that birds, animals, plants and marine life (actually, not our marine life) will…

• Budget watch

How was it for you?

I gave up smoking years ago but even I wince at the notion of £7.50 for a pack of twenty. £5 for your average bottle of wine may help me drink less and I rarely buy beer in London pubs 'cause I can't then afford the bus fare home.

A gratuitous but gorgeous image of a goldfinchOn the plus side for London. We'll have superfast broadband connections and improved cycling lanes. The Chancellor fiddled and played a merry tune with…

• Red tape wraps up

RSPB Conservation Director Martin Harper stepping-out at Rainham Marshes nature reserve with environment minsiter Jim Paice.Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman's reassuring the RSPB, and the thousands who voiced concerns, that legal protection for the environment will remain as "strong as ever".

Phew. Job done? Not yet!

While her announcement is welcome, the details of the full "Red Tape Challenge" have yet to be revealed. Martin Harper, RSPB Conservation Director says:

“I am extremely glad to see that the Government…

• Owls, herons and sparrows

This week we've had amazing footage of a sparrowhawk lunching on someone's lawn in west London, recordings of muntjac deer barking in the night in Hackney and great views of tawny owls and herons in central London parks. Our house sparrow project has completed its insect counts, recording more than 139,000 specimens in our trial seed plots.. and that's just the bugs over 2 mm in length.

This explosion of…

• Mad world

Meg Hillier MP ensuring constituency birds are fedWhat a whirlwind couple of weeks. Won Government funding to protect and improve the Thames Estuary thanks to support from Defra. Introduced South Hackney and Shoreditch MP Meg Hillier to our Wild Place Your Space project. Launched a million-pound fundraiser with Tesco's for our tropical rainforest work and I ran a workshop on Corporate Social Responsibility for some staff at the European HQ of digital imaging company…