• Fairburn Ings to Tate Modern, by guest blogger Des Garrahan

If this is a London blog, why am I telling you about an RSPB reserve up in West Yorkshire? Well I suppose it’s because I’m the new Local Groups Officer for London and I recently started in the role and I’m trying to find out as much about the RSPB as I can.
    A birds eye view of Fairburn IngsSo there I was in Yorkshire, visiting family in Harrogate, not too far from Fairburn Ings. It’s situated alongside the River Aire close to Castleford…
  • London! Not top of the BoP gun crime list

For a change, London is NOT the centre of gun crime... as far as Birds of Prey [BoP] are concerned.

Our magnificent falcons and hawks can continue to visit, safe in the knowledge that they're unlikely to become victims of prejudice.

The RSPB's 20th annual Birdcrime report recorded 384 cases of persecution in 2009, the second worst year for birds of prey; only 2007 was worse with 389 cases.

This doesn't include…

• Forever Autumn

The London sun is fading as I grow old... and just like Justin Hayward sang in Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, the birds are flying south across the Autumn sky.

I know it's Autumn, 'cause I'm already sweeping up leaves that have fallen from the trees. the blackberries have been and gone. The skies above my east London house have fallen silent with the departure of the swifts. And, I'm tryting to find my bike…