• Ringing success

Twenty four birds successfully netted, one escapee. The London House Sparrow Research Project has been running for a couple of years now, and this week I joined two of the team as they weighed, measured and ringed sparrows in Islington.

Recording field dataWithout taking any ages in to account I can reveal that the average weight of the sparrows was equal to that of a two-pound coin and a one-pound coin combined. Average wing length was about…

• Death of a maiden

Friday was a black day. We lost an eight-week-old female peregrine.

Peregrines at play in mid-air, photo kindly supplied by David ShawThese magnificent birds have taken to London in a big way. We now have half a dozen breeding pairs living wild in the Capital and probably double that in single birds - not yet at breeding age.

The female was found on Thursday last week, badly injured on the ground in London Wall near the Museum of London. She was taken by one of our volunteer peregrine…

• Lapwings precarious return

I cheered, then my heart sank, then it soared again, finally it swelled with pride. This was all while listening on a crackly mobile phone as RSPB Local Group leader Bob Husband explained where he was and what he was doing.

He was in a field in Barnet, near the M1. It’s normally home to some horses from a nearby Rescued lapwing chicks (c) Evening Standard photographer, Graham Husseystables but is also frequented by skylarks. Hence, Bob’s presence; accompanied by fellow North West…

• Greening the 'hood'.

Southwark has a new nature reserve. It's small but perfectly formed and it's just off the Old Kent Road.

A small army of volunteers helped create this new sanctuary for residents around Surrey Square. It's one of the BBC's Springwatch Action Team [SWAT] projects where scraps of land are transformed into usable spaces where people and wildlife come together; and it's beautiful.

Along with colleagues from…

• Peregrinations on Mars, biofuels and robins

"You'll think me mad," said the woman. "But to me, robin's are the bringers of bad news." No I didn't think her mad but I needed to know more.

"One appeared at my bedroom window and a few minutesRobin singing from a bramble stem later the phone rang and it was my brother calling to say Mum had just passed away. Then two year's later, I saw a robin at the kitchen window. The phone rang and I just knew someone else…