Puffins On Skomer Island - 18th & 20th June 2013

Hey Everyone :)

I wanted to share with you some photos & a couple of videos from my holiday to Pembrokeshire, Wales last week.

We went from Monday - Friday, the forecast wasn't very optimistic and I had everything crossed that it would at least remain dry. We headed down on the Monday morning with a mixture of light & heavy showers appearing during the journey. We arrived in the early afternoon and headed straight for Stackpole Nature Reserve, Bosherton Lakes to be precise. This is apparently a good location to spot Otters, however unfortunately we didn't see any - it was maybe too early with them generally being nocturnal. We did however have wonderful views of a Grey Heron fishing, saw Swans with Cygnets and all the other usual birds. A nice few hours spent at the reserve and it stayed dry with some sunshine, a good start!

Tuesday morning we headed to Skomer Island, this is one of my favourite places to visit, we sailed over at 10am and spent a good 5 hours or more on the island. We saw Puffin, Guillemot, Razorbill, Kittiwake, Fulmar & more - the weather was gorgeous, dry and sunny. Back on the mainland where you catch the boat we saw a couple of Choughs, lovely birds! Also in the outbuilding on the mainland we saw Swallow's flying in and out with food, there are nests just inside, I managed to get a photo (see below.)

Wednesday we had a break away from the Wildlife, we decided to visit Pembroke Castle and then on to Tenby Beach, once again lovely weather, so far so good!

Thursday was forecast the worst of the weather with heavy thundery showers, the boats were sailing to Skomer though and we decided to pack our waterproofs and take a chance! We once again sailed at 10am, the first couple of hours on the island were warm with sunshine, about midday the sun retreated a little and the clouds took over, however it once again stayed dry for the rest of the afternoon. I filmed the Puffins once more, I also managed to capture some video / photos of some Grey Seals hauled out on the rocks below the island - they had come out of the water due to the low tide.

Back on the mainland we headed for Marloes Mere Nature Reserve as there has been a Glossy Ibis there for a while, unfortunately we didn't spot it but I wasn't too disappointed - it had been a fab day.

Friday we set off for home, we stopped off at the beach again, this time at The Mumbles. A lovely way to spend some time before the journey back to the Midlands.

A great holiday - brilliant to see the Puffins again, brilliant weather - hoping to get to RSPB South Stack next month :)

Photos:

Videos:

Naughty Puffin On Skomer Island, Pembrokeshire - 20th June 2013

Puffins On Skomer Island, Pembrokeshire - 18th & 20th June 2013

Thanks for reading :)

Cheers, Rob