All about Insects (2015 to March 2017)

Oh well, no sooner said than done. All you budding entomologists or photographers or anyone who likes nature, you can put your insect photos here!

I'll kick off with a few that I've had lately. This first is called a Mantis Fly & is a cross between a Fly & Mantis (funnily enough) & is in the Neuroptera family, which is a mixed bunch anyway, my first & I had 3 of them around the moth trap

& a Rhinocerus Beetle which was also attracted to the light & are quite rare now around here, he really was fabulous, very impressive,

& this Frelon was also in the moth trap, but seemed quite docile as long as I kept my distance!

& some Damsel flies, an Azure Damselfly (thanks for the ID Aiki)

a Large Red Damsel

& from early may a proper fly from the Dipteras, anyone know the English name, I think it's latin name is Otites lamed,

I usually only take photos of flies with interesting wings as I am hopeless at identiying them!

Thanks for looking & maybe you can post some of yours!!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Oooh get you, Frog 'n all!!  Had my pond nearly a year now &, despite all the signposts & big pointy arrows no Froggie has found it, save for the cheeky china chappie from the local pound shop!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I’m sure if you give it time you’ll have a visit at one time or another. It was actually Tee Tee who discovered the Frog; we spotted her perched on a rock and staring into the water. On a sadder note we lost Harry, our old cat, a few weeks back. He just got really old really quickly; we’ve buried him next to the pond.

My bird photos HERE

• @ Paul,  so really sorry to hear you lost Harry pussy-cat, I remember the pics of he and Tee Tee around the garden and pond area;  it's so hard to lose such a loved pet and member of the family.  When I was born we had a female cat who lived for 15 years - it was supposedly the runt of a litter which Mum couldn't see put down and my Dad who worked as a gardener on a large estate buried her there along side the flowers and garden beds he tended.  I think Harry would approve of his resting place, bless him.        

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazel, you are very kind. Regardless of whether we gave him fresh water or milk to drink, he always preferred to drink pond water.!! :-)

My bird photos HERE

• Sad news about Harry PA but you gave hime a good life & fitting burial & he lives on in your heart!

My Old boy is 16 now & getting a bit bony & moany, hope he goes like his Mum did a couple of years ago, no vets,  just laid on the grass & went!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks Wendy. We also had hoped that we wouldn’t need the help of a vet but in the end it was the only option left to prevent unnecessary suffering.

My bird photos HERE

• So, it's summer, time to get the macro lens out.

I've bought a Hoverfly book since last year so I've no real excuses for getting the ID's wrong - but I probably will.

I've ID'd this one as Myathropa florea having a bit of a scratch. Please, Edge, tell me that I'm right.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Set up my home cobbled moth trap for third time tonight & have so far drawn a big fat nothing ... can't have too bright a light as too near neighbours (& still not very popular 'cos of feeding the birds!) but I live in hope of some nocturnal visitors ... in the meantime ... return to lounge to see a largish moth flying around which looks promising!  Cue mad scramble to turn off halogen uplighters before it can fry itself & then frantic antics to capture in butterfly home (in which I reared Painted Ladies last year) ... I had bagged a beautiful Silver Y Moth, one of my favourites

Not a completely wasted evening!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• That's a lovely clear macro shot Tony,  did you use a tripod ?   I tend to get lazy and hand hold the camera but should have a practice with my macro lens as there are quite a few insects around at the moment and I've saw 4 different butterflies yesterday: Red Admiral, Small White, Brimstone and Holly Blue  !   must be all those Aldi flowers I got  lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks folks. No it was hand held, Hazel, the insects don't  stay still long enough to mess about with tripods. The Canon 100mm lens is such a cracker that produces really sharp images. I try to use a high f-stop to get a good depth of field.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream